Teeth Of Many Colors

obsessed1

Everything was all set and we were ready to leave for North Carolina Wednesday morning. A very nice member of this forum was going to share some of his local knowledge....and then came the rain. A quick call on Tuesday night confirmed my thoughts that too much rain was falling to be able to hunt.

Plan 2.. I hoped that all the rain might help the collecting in some of the NC mines. This was partialy right but mostly wrong. Thursday came and only one mine was allowing collecting. As we checked in the nice gentleman at the office told us they had recieved over 6" of rain in the last two days! As we entered the mine it was easy to see that it was going to be muddy. I had just started into the collecting area when what looked like solid ground turned out be be deep mud..the over your knee high boots kind of mud that tries to pull your boot off as you attempt to escape to harder ground. Finally free I headed to what I hoped would be a better area. As I started walking across a flat toward the ther area I saw something black..It was a horse tooth! My first ever. I continued on... as I entered a different area I started finding teeth right away. From then one things become blurry....It seemed I couldn't take a step without seeing another tooth. Knowing that other collecters wouldn't be far behind me I covered as much ground as I could all the while stuffing my back pack with teeth and other fossils. Unfortunatly most of this material was a re-worked layer..lots of worn and broken fossil with a few nice ones mixed in.

When it was all over I had found several Auriculatis, a decent Meg, 2 horse teeth, a partial sloth tooth, a nice whale bulla and many, many shamers.

post-281-12589450259977_thumb.jpg post-281-12589450512977_thumb.jpg

post-281-12589450834776_thumb.jpg post-281-12589451096548_thumb.jpg

post-281-12589451400612_thumb.jpg post-281-1258945155605_thumb.jpg

post-281-12589451647458_thumb.jpg post-281-12589451735435_thumb.jpg

Edited by obsessed1

Sounds like a good trip :) I've yet to find my own auriculatis but I will some day :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

So, what went through your mind at that magic moment when you shifted your weight onto the foot that was disappearing into the pudding?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm pretty sure I can't type that here without having a bunch of X's in my sentence, but it started with

OOOOHHHH ....... :unsure: