My First Complete Meg Find

Daryl McEwen

I've dreamed for months about this find and this past weekend it finally became reality. The site I've been pouring sweat and blood and sore back muscle knots into for the past seven weeks has finally give in and said to me, "you've worked hard and I think that now you deserve to find what you've been seeking so here you go, buddy." Or at least this is how it feels right now. Thank you fossil pit. Thank you thank you thank you and thanks again. Now I can wait out the winter contented with an awesome find to share and treasure until I return again with the spring fossil fever as soon as warmth returns to get drenched in sweat and mud again!

I also restored this tooth a bit. Here's before and after photos.

16440_214830556140_749236140_4513186_8316469_n.jpg

16440_214830566140_749236140_4513187_7996237_n.jpg

16440_214830571140_749236140_4513188_790388_n.jpg

16440_214830581140_749236140_4513189_95275_n.jpg

16440_214830591140_749236140_4513190_6023509_n.jpg

Congratulations! There's nothing quite like finding your first "Holy Grail." I hope this is just the first of many more to come.. Thanks for sharing. biggrin.gif

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Look at the gnarly curve in that blade; exciting indeed!

Congratulations :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's a really nice first meg! My first was a posterior and it was only about 1 inch long!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Great find! First complete meg and it is a beauty!

I say this one will have a special place in your collection.

Congratulations! There's nothing quite like finding your first "Holy Grail." I hope this is just the first of many more to come.. Thanks for sharing. biggrin.gif

Very nice congradulations on your great tooth! :goodjob:

Wow what a beauty!:wub: Im so happy for you! Now that you have meg fever, I look forward to seeing many more from you in the future.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and encouragement. I think everyone should have the chance to feel the excitement of uncovering a big meg but unfortunately it isn't always so. I feel quite lucky having the opportunity to dig in places where meg teeth can be found. There are precious few in the world and being in NC is the place to be for certain fossil finds I'm learning.

Good luck to all who search and thanks for being friendly and willing to share the wealth of experience and expertise on fossil hunting, IDing, preparing, etc. This forum is a true blessing for any naturalist or for anyone with an appetite for learning just about anything paleo-related.

:)

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and encouragement. I think everyone should have the chance to feel the excitement of uncovering a big meg but unfortunately it isn't always so. I feel quite lucky having the opportunity to dig in places where meg teeth can be found. There are precious few in the world and being in NC is the place to be for certain fossil finds I'm learning.

Good luck to all who search and thanks for being friendly and willing to share the wealth of experience and expertise on fossil hunting, IDing, preparing, etc. This forum is a true blessing for any naturalist or for anyone with an appetite for learning just about anything paleo-related.

:)

So true:)

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Very Nice!!!! Congrats. Now you will catch Meg Fever. No known cure but there is a treatment that temporally relieves the symptoms.

Visiting your website and drooling over that horde of amazing megs and other awesome fossil finds you have for sale and viewing is a great temporary fix for me to quell my fever. Your work is quite the inspiration to get out there and go for it.

Hearty congrats from NW Arkansas. I found a lower jaw tooth washed up on a St. Pete beach during a vacation. At least 100 people walked past it without realizing what it was. I still feel the rush five years later!

Hi Daryl.

Nice find I lived in Nc. for a few years there are a lot of fossil locations there. I would love to move back some day. Paul

Hearty congrats from NW Arkansas. I found a lower jaw tooth washed up on a St. Pete beach during a vacation. At least 100 people walked past it without realizing what it was. I still feel the rush five years later!

I was born in St. Pete and lived in Seminole before moving to NC. I had no idea you can find megs there too. Thats amazing! Well, actually I have a FL meg that at one time was around 3" or so. It's is so worn its almost indistinguishable. My Dad found it in a dredge pile close to where he grew up in Pinellas Co. and gave it to me as a kid. Its the first giant shark tooth I've ever seen and even though its basically just a rock I was still amazed by its size for many years. I totally need to get down there to visit my Grandfolks in Gulfport and go sweep the beaches for teeth. Here's a photo of that meg.

16440_215876551140_749236140_4522151_4815470_n.jpg

I was born in St. Pete and lived in Seminole before moving to NC. I had no idea you can find megs there too. Thats amazing! Well, actually I have a FL meg that at one time was around 3" or so. It's is so worn its almost indistinguishable. My Dad found it in a dredge pile close to where he grew up in Pinellas Co. and gave it to me as a kid. Its the first giant shark tooth I've ever seen and even though its basically just a rock I was still amazed by its size for many years. I totally need to get down there to visit my Grandfolks in Gulfport and go sweep the beaches for teeth. Here's a photo of that meg.

16440_215876551140_749236140_4522151_4815470_n.jpg

That actually pretty cool, thnks for sharing that.

Alfred North Whithead