professional associations and societies.

hadrosauridae

I'd like to get some opinions about the benefits of joining any of the paleo societies or groups that are around.  More specifically, is there a benefit for a lay-person in joining?  I understand that these offer networking opportunities for the professional, but would there be a benefit for ME as an enthusiast? 

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

If there were one near me, I'd join it immediately. 

I think they're actually more beneficial to the lay person or enthusiast than for an expert. 

They seem to have lots of local knowledge, people to help with ids, organized trips to collect. 

Can't see a negative, in fact. 

Except, I presume, you have to pay to join. 

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I'm a member of the Society of vertebrate paleontology; and there's a massive benefit from being a member, that being free access to all papers from Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology (which is a very good resource).

• I found this Informative 7

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I recommend local clubs which are generally for amateurs interested in geology/paleontology.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I would join them if they were available in my little Podunk town.  Any knowledge gained is a plus!

Local clubs and societies can offer a wealth of information, especially if you are new to the hobby or the region.  Membership is usually very reasonable and most offer a discount for families.  Most of the regional groups are orientated toward the amateur enthusiast but will also have professional and academic members as well. Here in Austin we have a great relationship with the Jackson School of Geology at the University of Texas. Several professors act as science advisors for our club and the grad students often present at our monthly meetings..  I have been active in two clubs (PSA & NYPS) and off-and-on members of a few others including the Cincinnati Dry Dredgers.

Almost all clubs are well run and filled with friendly folk who will happily give helpful advice. If you hear of exceptions (and there are...sigh) they are anecdotal and not the norm. 

As far as more professional societies are concerned that would be for me a matter of budget and interest.  But learning that membership in SVP gets access to the Journal would be a no-brainer if I was a vertebrate enthusiast.

Definitely do the research and see what is available in your area and consider the national groups as well.  The beauty of this crazy avocation is that you can go shallow or go deep... real deep...and have a great experience either way.

• I found this Informative 3

I would join the "local" one here if it wasn't about a

4 1/2 hour drive away,  making it a bit prohibitive to get to after work. :wacko:

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I would join the "local" one here if it wasn't about a

4 1/2 hour drive away,  making it a bit prohibitive to get to after work. :wacko:

You've got a nice new car. 

It's probably got autopilot and stuff. 

Don't be lazy. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Not being lazy, it's just by the time I get off work and get down there, the meetings would be over already.

It's 300 miles away.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

12 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Not being lazy, it's just by the time I get off work and get down there, the meetings would be over already.

It's 300 miles away.

Same problem I have.  No "local" clubs or groups in OK.  The closest is the Dallas group but, like you, thats 4 hours away (or more based on exactly where it meets. Big D is a LARGE area)

I've been looking at national associations like AAPS and SVP.  I know some well-respected people in AAPS.  SVP is much more expensive and they do have excellent publications available to members, but I'm having trouble overlooking the politics.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I am a part of many local clubs and societies, and reap an incredible amount of benefits. They allow trips to otherwise inaccessible places, facilitate the transfer of knowledge between amateurs, and have some epic talks and lectures. I love’em.

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 2 weeks later...

There was 1 in Sacramento Ca (Fossils for Fun, FFF) that I went to for years when I lived there. It was a great group of mixed pros and amateurs. The group also got to help on a few university digs which was awesome. I would join one if anywhere near me. I fall under the amateur group :)

One of the first thing I did landing in Montreal was joining one of the local clubs ( not that difficult , there are only 2 of them , or maybe one ?) Never regretted one second , warm company ( french , belgium , and a few  Quebec people :rolleyes:) , great knowledge sharing , excellent tools , great trips .  I also joined the Ottawa club , which allows me to visit our anglo neighbours during summer . Most excellent folks too ! That's probably one of the less risky bet you can take , benefits/costs  wise .

I also joined a "local" club - the Niagara Peninsula Geological Society (it's not exactly local since it's about 100km away, but it's close enough!).  I don't go to their meetings since they're on Friday evenings and with GTA (Greater Toronto Area) traffic there's no way I'd be able to make them, but being a member does allow me to go on "field trips" to normally off-limits locations (e.g., Hungry Hollow near Arkona, ON), so it's totally worth it!

I have been a member of Niagara forever and I have never actually attended a meeting.........

3 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

I have been a member of Niagara forever and I have never actually attended a meeting.........

Heck, I was on the Board of one of the local clubs and "maybe" made it to one meeting/year due to distance.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

• 10 months later...

Late comment

I would love there to be a "one stop" place for lists of local, regional and professional clubs, societies and groups. 

45 minutes ago, Sjfriend said:

Late comment

I would love there to be a "one stop" place for lists of local, regional and professional clubs, societies and groups. 

Do what I did; create a one stop page for my area of expertise: Arizona paleontology and geology. 

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/86597-arizona-paleontology-guide/

Create and maintain an interactive list with links of paleo groups by City, State and Country and call it a Paleo Group, Society and Club “Guide”. Post a blurb about the interests and strengths of each group. Post it on the Forum. If you do not have editing privileges, one of the great admins or moderators can post updates for you. 

The Guides are sort of our Forum version of Wikipedia articles. We then could hyperlink all our Guides into an index. For example, if you like my Arizona Guide, check out the Guides for other states. Anyone want to start one for New Mexico, Texas or Nevada? (Other states and countries too.)

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.