New Mosasaur

Frank Menser

Piece by piece I am getting my mos together (unfortunately they are not parts of the same individual or locality so no assembly possible :blush: )

In any case, added this TX Mos lower jaw section to my referance collection to help me with field IDs.

post-1313-12591594916503_thumb.jpg

I did see a nice Maxilla on Ebay but since I allready have one from Kansas, I am not sure I'll go for it.

post-1313-12591595657025_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.

Bit by bit Frank, mosasaurs are my favourite knowing that they were ammonite eaters! :wub: I know where there's an almost complete one but I think you'd need a helicopter to get it out, the rock it's in must weigh thousands of pounds. :wacko:

Hi Frank,have you found any verts in your nice pond??

While it lasted between me and rsmull we found about five-all tail section.

post-1313-12591630815287_thumb.jpg

Also these...

post-1313-12591644520109_thumb.jpg

I also found this bone that I think might belong..

post-1313-12591645900219_thumb.jpg

...as well as this skull piece which I really need an expert opinion on.

post-1313-12591647025552_thumb.jpgpost-1313-12591645900219_thumb.jpg

post-1313-12591647025552_thumb.jpg

Not having access to a complete skull do Mos have cross hatch structures in their skull? (see lower right pic)

post-1313-12591647282018_thumb.jpg

post-1313-12591647465174_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Menser

Bit by bit Frank, mosasaurs are my favourite knowing that they were ammonite eaters! :wub: I know where there's an almost complete one but I think you'd need a helicopter to get it out, the rock it's in must weigh thousands of pounds. :wacko:

Shoot in me younger days I woulda thrown it over me shoulder and hiked it out! :rolleyes:

Would love to find something that intact from here. However, the possibility of mos material from Canada? Interesting... :wub:

Not having access to a complete skull do Mos have cross hatch structures in their skull? (see lower right pic)

Not too sure Frank.I looked at many pictures of Mos skulls on the Oceans of Kansas website and couldn't discern any cross hatch features. There are some dorsal and ventral views of Mos skulls on the website,but I couldn't see any cross hatching features.

hey frank...how big is the bone fragment in the pic with the tan background?

It's about two inches long by one inch wide and is oval in profile.

post-1313-12591688807749_thumb.jpg

Ed to add: This bone is surprisingly heavy for its size.

Edited by Frank Menser

Shoot in me younger days I woulda thrown it over me shoulder and hiked it out! :rolleyes:

Would love to find something that intact from here. However, the possibility of mos material from Canada? Interesting... :wub:

They're in huge slabs of rock. Even though the skeleton is in 3 or 4 pcs (the slabs) I bet you 3 or 4 guys couldn't lift them! :wacko:

They're in huge slabs of rock. Even though the skeleton is in 3 or 4 pcs (the slabs) I bet you 3 or 4 guys couldn't lift them! :wacko:

Maybe so...but it sure wouldn't stop me from trying... :D

Don't even tease me about moving big slabs of rock to get a good fossil!!!!

It's about two inches long by one inch wide and is oval in profile.

post-1313-12591688807749_thumb.jpg

Ed to add: This bone is surprisingly heavy for its size.

i found a bone that looks similar except it's larger. i was told it was mosasaur.

DSC01737.jpg

DSC01742.jpg

Sheesh Fig, I'm surprised you haven't heard the helicopters flying overhead already :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

i found a bone that looks similar except it's larger. i was told it was mosasaur.

DSC01737.jpg

DSC01742.jpg

It might be, but the curve doesn't look right. It's hard to tell with as little is left of this bone. if it is it would be the narrow end. At the very least it looks in cross-section like the internal structure of my bone.:)

Edited by Frank Menser

Hey Frank, save your money up, and come to Texas. We can take you to the spot where that jaw section came from. Verts, Bones, Teeth. Mosasaur material all over the river bottom

Hey Frank, save your money up, and come to Texas. We can take you to the spot where that jaw section came from. Verts, Bones, Teeth. Mosasaur material all over the river bottom

Thanks... :D

Odds are good on our taking you up on that next year.