Finished Lophomastix Crab.

micropterus101

These Crabs are just awesome! Although the are also a pain to expose. The concretions are grainy sand and the shell of the crab is flaky at best but But I love the specs of green irredescense, just makes me want to .... well makes me very happy. I was lucky to stumble upon a loacation where I have collected about a dozen of these some are unpreppable but still a thrill to find in anycase.

KoF,Jason

By unprepable do you mean they are too fragile?

I love how these specimens are preserved, they are very unique.

By unprepable do you mean they are too fragile?

I love how these specimens are preserved, they are very unique.

Nicholas,

About one in one hundred concretions from this site has a lophomastix in it So i have to crack with a hammer. Unfortunately some break into little pieces there is not enough of to put back together.

Mb,

Sometime this spring maybe we could trade. :)

Fossisle,

Makes me wonder if when these crabs were alive they were pearly looking or if it just the minerals in the sand around them that give them this color. If some day I get one thats not so flaky it will blow your mind the irredescense of some of these crabs. alot of the irredescense stays in the negative :(

Nicholas,

About one in one hundred concretions from this site has a lophomastix in it So i have to crack with a hammer. Unfortunately some break into little pieces there is not enough of to put back together.

Ah I understand :) Thanks.

Nicholas,

Mb,

Sometime this spring maybe we could trade. :)

Fossisle,

Makes me wonder if when these crabs were alive they were pearly looking or if it just the minerals in the sand around them that give them this color. If some day I get one thats not so flaky it will blow your mind the irredescense of some of these crabs. alot of the irredescense stays in the negative :(

I know with ammonites and your Aturia the shell is aragonite and forms prisms that realigns the light into the rainbow colors. Sometimes our ammonite shell is changed into calcite and there is no color play in these specimens.maybe the crab carapace gets replaced by a mineral with these same prisms?

Anyway awesome find and prep

Did you get the small Baculites I sent from Hornby?

Here is a picture of another one :)

Cephalopods rule!!

How in tarnation did I miss this post? Very nice Jason. Did I ever tell you just what a wonderful and great guy you are!! Ha!! Your just the best friend anyone could ever have ole pal ole buddy! And did I ever tell you how good looking you are! Heh,,,heh,, ok, I thinks thats enough buttering up. I will be looking forward to my Christmas present this year.

RB