Most Folks Would Buy A Lottery Ticket About Now If They Were Me...

hokiehunter

For the past two weekends I have set personal bests for quality and tooth size (1.675" Mako and then a 2.625" Mako). The pressure was on this weekend but my luck held and my hole paid off. 3 weekends... 3 personal bests! My first complete meg and a bonus 3/4 complete meg along with a dolphin tooth (please confirm if any can), and several nice sand tigers, and misc. others. A great day. Wind was dead calm and water was gin clear. I have never seen the tide that low and the water that clear. 5 feet of visability. I was at the top of my waders and sprung a leak in my left leg that put about 3 gallons of 40 to low 50 something degree water in my waders and left me scrambling for shore but it paid off. Awesome day. Can't wait to do it again.

post-2363-12595266545796_thumb.jpg

post-2363-12595266718171_thumb.jpg

post-2363-12595266846279_thumb.jpg

post-2363-12595266965221_thumb.jpg

post-2363-12595267096235_thumb.jpg

Edited by hokiehunter

PS.... Should I do anything in particular to preserve my meg? I've always soaked my teeth/fossils in fresh water for a day or so after finding them but thats about it. Someone told me to hit my meg with some baby oil but I'm suspicious about this technique. Any advice would be appreciated as the tooth is almost perfect and I plan to keep it for a long time. Thanks for any tips.

PS.... Should I do anything in particular to preserve my meg? I've always soaked my teeth/fossils in fresh water for a day or so after finding them but thats about it. Someone told me to hit my meg with some baby oil but I'm suspicious about this technique. Any advice would be appreciated as the tooth is almost perfect and I plan to keep it for a long time. Thanks for any tips.

Usually other than cleaning them in water and letting them dry out shark and marine teeth need nothing done to them, if they are very brittle or unstable (crumbly) then I would suggest stabilizing them with a glue. If not, they should be fine.

I'm sure some of the marine teeth guys will kick in with more advice.

Nice finds... I wouldn't waste the Karma on Lottery tickets, find more teeth!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

That is a very pretty Meg! :wub:

Just clean it well in fresh water. I have Megs from that site that were found in 1970 that look just like the day they were washed.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for the tips to all. I thought oiling it sounded funny. I'll stick to soaking it in fresh water and leave it at that. Totally stoked right now. 8 months of some serious toofin work paid off.

Awesome finds and excellent condition!

Congratulations!!! thumbsu.gif

And did you find those in Virginia??? If so then I'm gonna kick myself for never getting out to hunt during the 19 years my parents lived there!!! growl.gif

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"