Petition To Save The Ubc Track Quarry, Nj

Fossilcollector

Doing my part to help save a classic fossil site:

The UBC Quarry of West Paterson, NJ is going to be turned into highrise condos.

In order to try to prevent this, there's a petition going around to save the quarry and turn it into a park/preserve:

http://gopetition.com/online/32326.html

"The UBC Quarry in West Paterson, NJ has been a unique fossil locality for scientific research and spectacular fossils from the Passaic formation in the Early Jurassic period of NJ since the 1960's. Many discoveries over the years have yielded a great deal of knowledge to the scientific community in the area of trace fossils (ichnology) during this unique time period.

Large museums and universities have done research projects and collected at the quarry to add to their collections and preserve these fossils. Ironically most of the fossils from this quarry are in private hands and not in a museum for folks to enjoy. The quarry was once an active quarry for many years but now has been sold to a developer to create high end condos that overlook NYC. "

-Yinan

I'm #237. C'mon, gang, we're gonna need more than that!

BTW, I'll likely never visit the fossil site, but I'm still PO'ed over Palisades Park being turned into condos. Remember the comic book ads, Boomers?

I've sign(ed) it and I am going to give link to my friends.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

ok, so, this is privately owned property, right? and you're wanting to take it away from the property owner who bought it so that you can have done with it what you want done with it, right? are you going to buy it from the owner?

i'm just sayin...

ok, so, this is privately owned property, right? and you're wanting to take it away from the property owner who bought it so that you can have done with it what you want done with it, right? are you going to buy it from the owner?

i'm just sayin...

I'll take the bait...

If it's irresponsible use, yes. E.g. houses on the Historic Register are protected from destruction.

With the new-housing market the way it is, the developer might do well to accept a "takings" settlement and go on about their business elsewhere. 'Course, that means that you, the taxpayer, will have to pay for it. A compromise might be possible through a conservation easement, with development on only part of the land; the size of the parcel vs. the number of build-able lots would determine whether that was a viable option.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'll take the bait...

If it's irresponsible use, yes. E.g. houses on the Historic Register are protected from destruction.

hmm, i can more or less guarantee that if i were aware of how you use all of your belongings, i'd think that at least part of it is "irresponsible" and want to take stuff from you and use it more responsibly myself. by the way, whose definition of "responsibly" are we going to use? guess we could go with "majority" vote. are there more people who love fossils or condos?

hey, a better question! since we all know that fossils are cooler and more important than property rights, but there's too much property with fossils on it to take it all away from all owners, who gets to decide which properties get taken? the scientific community, the dealers, the avocational paleo people, or those in a special category of one - the best example of which would be me. :rolleyes:

Just got the signatures up to 269.

Don't know if anyone else from over the water in the UK has signed.

Always glad to help a good cause.

Regards

Ade

A compromise might be possible through a conservation easement, with development on only part of the land; the size of the parcel vs. the number of build-able lots would determine whether that was a viable option.

Now THAT's a solution! Obviously, you don't work for the government. Too much intelligence. :P

hmm, i can more or less guarantee that if i were aware of how you use all of your belongings, i'd think that at least part of it is "irresponsible" and want to take stuff from you and use it more responsibly myself. by the way, whose definition of "responsibly" are we going to use? guess we could go with "majority" vote. are there more people who love fossils or condos?

hey, a better question! since we all know that fossils are cooler and more important than property rights, but there's too much property with fossils on it to take it all away from all owners, who gets to decide which properties get taken? the scientific community, the dealers, the avocational paleo people, or those in a special category of one - the best example of which would be me. :rolleyes:

Plagiarized from Wikipedia:

In literature, the jester is symbolic of common sense and of honesty, notably in King Lear, the court jester is a character used for insight and advice on the part of the monarch, taking advantage of his license to mock and speak freely to dispense frank observations and highlight the folly of his monarch. This presents a clashing irony as a "greater" man could dispense the same advice and find himself being detained in the dungeons or even executed. Only as the lowliest member of the court can the jester be the monarch's most useful adviser.

You make some derned valid points, my friend T. But somewhere, in the middle, lies the solution.

Being from Canada I don't feel qualified to be signing a petition telling someone in another country what to do with their land. :blink: I know as a Canadian I wouldn't appreciate someone from another part of the world telling me what to do in my own country. :judge: That's the nice thing about each country still having their own sovereignty (at least for a little while longer anyway) IMHO B)

i signed. Am new, but hope that it does get saved so sometime in near future I may get there to do some hunting of my own :) Thanks for link

Gino~

May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live :)

Being from Canada I don't feel qualified to be signing a petition telling someone in another country what to do with their land. :blink: I know as a Canadian I wouldn't appreciate someone from another part of the world telling me what to do in my own country. :judge: That's the nice thing about each country still having their own sovereignty (at least for a little while longer anyway) IMHO B)

That's a good point, my other good friend Fig. That's why I cut China a lot of slack (but not too much). They were told how to behave by the rest of the world for a long time...

In th meantime, I still think there's CARP going on over there that's just bad.

darn. r.e., you got me. <sigh> snoopy-shashaying sideways out of the topic.>

One of my proudest moments. Not too many "get" tracer.

One of my proudest moments. Not too many "get" tracer.

Sometimes I get him, I think, maybe...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to let you that preservation and detail definition of the fossils in this quarry is amazing. i've collected there. I've never seen better preserved tracks from any other location, and I have seen thousands of tracks.

Count me in as #1970. Good luck!

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

• 2 weeks later...

i'm just sayin...

I signed it and i hope many more people do. So Tracer when the government comes in and forces you to sell your land at what they think it is worth just so they can build a highway, is that ok? Because that is what they did to a good friend of mine. And what little money he did get he surly lost in the value of his home. Not to many people like to buy homes that have highways running through their front yard. 99% of the land here is privately owned. If they have the right to force you to sell to build a road then i would say yes they have the right to make a park out of the property. By the way, was every battle field or state park owned by the state in the beginning,i think not. And do you think they asked the landowner if they can buy it, again i think not. They probably told them there is historical significance to your land, and we are buying it off you. And i for one am glad they did, I love parks and battle fields. Not to many places have dinosaurs tracks still in the ground, if it became a park i would love to go see it. They have been buying (forcing people to sell) private property for years to better the community. Besides they are not taking it away, they are buying it from them. At least that is what they told my friend. Btw I use that road they built in front of my friends house all the time. It is a popular road to get you to the shore towns and lessen the traffic on the weekends through a lot of towns. So do i feel bad for him, yes. I am i glad they build the road, yes.:D

Edit- I know i am a little late on this topic but i dont really come to this Board (General Fossil Discussion) and i wanted to see what all this hub-bub was about it. I like it the way it is and hope you don't change it.

Edited by Just Bob

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Eminent domain = No such thing as property rights..... If you follow Carl Sagan at all we might find that "property" will be a thing of the past soon anyway.

Did universities and museums weigh in on this? Any updates?