Spinosaurus had a rather unusual tail

Haravex

While we're at the topic: Do we have the tails from other Spinosauridae? Is this maybe a feature that is shared by all or most Spinosauridae? Like Suchomimus or Baryonyx?

7 hours ago, BobWill said:

I didn't read all of the material posted here so this may have been brought up already but if not I wanted to get some feedback on this idea. With all this focus on the tail we shouldn't forget the original speculation on the reason for the sail. Different ideas were floated but now it seems likely it may have been used more like the keel of a sailboat, for stability. When fully submerged the movement of the tail would have caused some back and forth movement of the body and the sail could have worked to dampen that effect making for a straighter course through the water with less wasted motion. I don't remember if this was one of the original theories or not. Thoughts?

Partially addressed in Henderson's buoyancy paper 

https://peerj.com/articles/5409/

2 hours ago, Abstraktum said:

While we're at the topic: Do we have the tails from other Spinosauridae? Is this maybe a feature that is shared by all or most Spinosauridae? Like Suchomimus or Baryonyx?

Not sure we have much of a tail on other Spinosauridae probably why the paper did not mention them but compared it to Allosaurus and coelophysis.

• I found this Informative 2

6 hours ago, Abstraktum said:

Ichthyovenator actually kinda looks like it might have a similar condition.

Ichthyovenator_laosensis.thumb.jpg.de858b9345d15029d7ee80f8237f174a.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

39 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Ichthyovenator actually kinda looks like it might have a similar condition.

I dont think thats the tail but the dorsal verts and a reconstructed sacrum.  A couple of caudals which do look similar but to little to say much.

5eac6f7a32607_Ichthyovenator_skeletal__size_comparison_by_PaleoGeek.thumb.png.8b05eb1e725f7fe2bfebc6310e920560.png

• I found this Informative 1

This is the known elements of suchomimus A Long-Snouted Predatory Dinosaur from Africa and the Evolution of ...

Sadly it would seem nothing has been published about the post cranial elements, if certain paleontogists where to focus more of providing post cranial elemnts in journals instead of just focusing on the cranial and producing tv shows science might have a better understanding of this family of dinosaurs.

On 5/1/2020 at 8:51 PM, TyBoy said:

I dont think thats the tail but the dorsal verts and a reconstructed sacrum.  A couple of caudals which do look similar but to little to say much.

5eac6f7a32607_Ichthyovenator_skeletal__size_comparison_by_PaleoGeek.thumb.png.8b05eb1e725f7fe2bfebc6310e920560.png

Looks like 4 caudals in the photo to me. And the last two missing in the picture you linked. And the spines look quite long. Similar to the mid anterior caudals of the new Spinosaurus tail.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thx everybody for the infos :)

So it is at least possible other Spinosaurids might have similar features as well. Guess we just have to wait until more stuff has been dug up :) 

Just found this which shows Ichthyovenator with a tail fin.

F8CA4527-6C0C-44FC-A826-30D71D99E9FA.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't found a better topic for this :headscratch:

Can anyone please tell me this is a photoshop :D  

Unbenannt.thumb.png.7a948c21cf2211350199d335761076db.png

• I found this Informative 4