Coming To Texas/dfw Late Dec. - Wana Hunt?

Mr. Edonihce

Howdy, y'all.

I will be in the DFW area (folks live in Frisco, brother in Irving) at the end of December, and might have time to get together with someone down there for some hunting.

I'm there pretty much every year at that time, and have hunted a few places (NSR, Texoma, Jacksboro, some places near SA, and a bunch of roadcuts all over, etc). I would be OK with pretty much anything, but my primary fondness is for 1) Echinoderms (any type from any age; even when all I get is a handful of poorly preserved, worn-out Hemiasters), and 2) Pennsylvanian (especially crinoids, but even a brachiopod or two can excite me from time to time if it's been dry pickins for a while) :)

I know there's lots of stuff down there and I know there are lots of fellow Paleo-geeks in the DFW area.

Anyone up for it?

I don't know yet exactly which dates I would be available for this, but we're traveling down there on Dec. 24-25, busy for sure on Dec. 26, and traveling back up here on Jan. 2-3.

If interested, either post up here or PM with ideas, places, dates, or whatever.

Chat soon.

steven

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

I'm down in Austin so you would be better off getting someone from up that-a way(DFW) to help you. I recently collected a few Goodland Formation sites that were loaded and worth the visit. They were just west of Fort Worth. PM me for info if you want.

But it made me think about how my wife, bless her, lets me out for a few hours every Christmas Day to do some collecting. I've never known why the Jones is so strong on that day. Maybe the books I might get just stoke the fires. But that's the great thing about living down here...I can collect on Christmas day!

What a great idea! I may be headin' down to Dallas myself before long. I hope this works out for you, ME, I may try the same strategy.

I'm down in Austin so you would be better off getting someone from up that-a way(DFW) to help you. I recently collected a few Goodland Formation sites that were loaded and worth the visit. They were just west of Fort Worth. PM me for info if you want.

But it made me think about how my wife, bless her, lets me out for a few hours every Christmas Day to do some collecting. I've never known why the Jones is so strong on that day. Maybe the books I might get just stoke the fires. But that's the great thing about living down here...I can collect on Christmas day!

I'd love to get more specifics about that area around FW. So, I will PM you, indeed. Thanks.

By the way, depending on how things work out, I may be in your area sometime while we're down there. I'll definitely let you know, in case you want to go for a quick hunt.

What a great idea! I may be headin' down to Dallas myself before long. I hope this works out for you, ME, I may try the same strategy.

Thanks, and good luck to you too.

Oh, I may have neglected to make this clear....I have a spot or two to share as well. So, if I do end up getting together with anyone in the DFW area (or elsewhere, if we can make it), I will not just be a leech. ;)

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Fort Worth and west of there sounds like where you need to go. Thats where the Echis, and Penn material is.

If you will be in Frisco, POC (Post Oak Creek) in Sherman wont be far. Thats sifting/crawling for sharks teeth. The good quarry in Ft Worth that I use to hit has been fenced off, so its off limits now....

Depends on the weather and such but I will ping ya for sure. There are plenty of spots!

Cool! I look forward to it working out; meeting up with you sometime down there.

Ya, sometimes it can be winter, soetimes, more like summer, and sometimes we get whatever that nasty rainy icy $h!t is that you folks get down there from time to time .....not very often, but sometimes ya just can't tell what you're gonna get down there till the week we're there. :P One year when we came down to DFW for X-mas time, etc, it was below zero that night and the next morning, we found out that Corpus Christi got 12" of snow over-night. Of course, it was probably gone the next day, but still....wild swings.

Fort Worth and west of there sounds like where you need to go. Thats where the Echis, and Penn material is.

I know. That's exactly where I'd really like to go. I'm just not sure how much time I will have for it. I will probably know more once we get there.

If you will be in Frisco, POC (Post Oak Creek) in Sherman wont be far. Thats sifting/crawling for sharks teeth.

POC sounds like a great possibility. It's less than an hour drive from my folks' place (one of my little tricks is that my folks tend to sleep late, I go out fossil hunting early, and wake everyone up when I get back....ya, an early day of getting going is leaving the house by 11:AM when we're down there).

I have heard this place mentioned before, but usually in the same conversation as the NSR. So, I just haven't looked into it at all yet. Being this close is great! So, thank you very much. :-)

-- Mr. Edonihce

Is there a single post anywhere on this forum (or a document elsewhere) that lists or expands on the relevant 'Earth history'-details of the POC; like geologic formation/s, paleo environment (paleogeography, paleoclimatology, habitat, bio-ecosystem), etc?

I know much of this will be consistent throughout various, similar Cretaceous localities, but where there is such a massive concentration of anything (teeth from sharks in this case), I like digging deeper (metaphorically as well as physically) if at all possible.

-- Mr. Edonihce

Mr. E here is a start.

Thanks, John.

This is a very helpful start, indeed.

-- Mr. Edonihce

I think the light yellow sandstone layer parallels the Atco KEF/KAU contact layer which is very well known in Dallas Co. It seems POC is a shallower deposition as the sand might suggest which perhaps makes sense heading north/northeast torwards a possible shore. I see a lot of coral, a lot of very small juvenile shark teeth. This is a good place to screen for micro-teeth if you have this interest.

Edited by Tony Eaton

I think the light yellow sandstone layer parallels the Atco KEF/KAU contact layer which is very well known in Dallas Co. It seems POC is a shallower disposition as the sand might suggest which perhaps makes sense heading north/northeast torwards a possible shore. I see a lot of coral, a lot of very small juvenile shark teeth. This is a good place to screen for micro-teeth if you have this interest.

OK, cool. Thanks.

Ya, I try to take home a bag or two from every place I hunt so that I can pick through it at home....continues the hunt and the trip.

My best find yet is Pennsylvanian echinoderm (probably a crinoid, but haven't gone far enough down the ID road with it yet) which is ~1mm in size.....and that's actually the calyx.....not just some columnals or other parts. I will definitely be taking home a bag from the POC this time.

i'm a few hours south by corpus christi or i'd say lets get together

Bummer. We went down there last year and did a beach run (with some other FJ Cruiser owners) at Padre Island National Seashore. The second day, my wife and I went back there on our own and hunted for sand dollars, etc. No fossils, but I got some echinoderms out of the deal anyway. So, I was happy. :)

Seems not much for fossil hunting in the CC area-proper, but North of there it's packed in the SA/Aust. areas.

Do you know of any good places down there in particular?

-- Mr. Edonihce

Howdy, y'all.

I will be in the DFW area (folks live in Frisco, brother in Irving) at the end of December, and might have time to get together with someone down there for some hunting.

I'm there pretty much every year at that time, and have hunted a few places (NSR, Texoma, Jacksboro, some places near SA, and a bunch of roadcuts all over, etc). I would be OK with pretty much anything, but my primary fondness is for 1) Echinoderms (any type from any age; even when all I get is a handful of poorly preserved, worn-out Hemiasters), and 2) Pennsylvanian (especially crinoids, but even a brachiopod or two can excite me from time to time if it's been dry pickins for a while) smile.gif

I know there's lots of stuff down there and I know there are lots of fellow Paleo-geeks in the DFW area.

Anyone up for it?

I don't know yet exactly which dates I would be available for this, but we're traveling down there on Dec. 24-25, busy for sure on Dec. 26, and traveling back up here on Jan. 2-3.

If interested, either post up here or PM with ideas, places, dates, or whatever.

Chat soon.

steven

If you make it a little farther north I can put you on a place that is usually loaded with echis. The one in my gallery was found there.

Hey man!

Are you taking "Sandi"?

Anyways it was good to hear from you last week, I wish you luck in Texas.

I've been cleaning up and will have another care package for you soon...

If you make it a little farther north I can put you on a place that is usually loaded with echis. The one in my gallery was found there.

Texoma, or elsewhere in the area?

Ya never know....if I manage to get up there, I'll ping ya.

Thank you for the heads-up.

So....ech in your gallery....the heart-like one or the round-ish one?....I'm thinking you're talking about the big one.

Hey man!

Are you taking "Sandi"?

Anyways it was good to hear from you last week, I wish you luck in Texas.

I've been cleaning up and will have another care package for you soon...

Hi, T.

Yep, taking Sandi (so happy). :-)

Thanks. I probably won't need much luck when going to the land where fossils were invented, but thanks.

another care package?!? you freak ;)

Wow, thanks a lot bro.

Perhaps I'll bring back a little something for you from TX.

I know there weren't any trilobites in the Cretaceous, but any special requests?

-- Mr. Edonihce

Thanks, John.

This is a very helpful start, indeed.

John, Do we have any information to pass that isn't from the late 1800's??? heh heh heh blush.gif

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

John, Do we have any information to pass that isn't from the late 1800's??? heh heh heh blush.gif

HAHA! :)

The thought did cross my mind, but being the beggar in this situation, I didn't also want to be an @$$. :)

-- Mr. Edonihce

HAHA! :)

The thought did cross my mind, but being the beggar in this situation, I didn't also want to be an @$$. :)

I did say "start" :) ... there's alway Boogle. :mellow:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Texoma, or elsewhere in the area?

Ya never know....if I manage to get up there, I'll ping ya.

Thank you for the heads-up.

So....ech in your gallery....the heart-like one or the round-ish one?....I'm thinking you're talking about the big one.

Hi, T.

Thanks. I probably won't need much luck when going to the land where fossils were invented, but thanks.

another care package?!? you freak wink.gif

Wow, thanks a lot bro.

I know there weren't any trilobites in the Cretaceous, but any special requests?

I found a spot on texoma where i was finding them every 5 feet it seemed. I got tired of picking them up. It on the Ok side though. I haven't been out there in several months so maybe it is still a good spot. I found the large one their and the small one was a poc find.

Edited by danielp

I did say "start" :) ... there's alway Boogle. :mellow:

Indeed.

I was certainly just kidding, John. No offense meant at all....I'm just a silly little goofball. :)

I found a spot on texoma where i was finding them every 5 feet it seemed. I got tired of picking them up. It on the Ok side though. I haven't been out there in several months so maybe it is still a good spot. I found the large one their and the small one was a poc find.

OK, cool.

Part of my little evil plan is to try to get up there (at least the TX side of Texoma) on a day-trip this time. If it looks like I'll be able to get up your way further, I will try to contact you here in time.

Thanks, bud.

-- Mr. Edonihce

Certainly none taken, Mr. E. I was kidding you and Old-Man. :P

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hi, T.

Wow, thanks a lot bro.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Sweet, I hope to see some pics!

One of these years we should coordinate a trip, I want to hit some permian trilo's out there: http://www.jstor.org/pss/1305948

T

Edited by Placoderms

Certainly none taken, Mr. E. I was kidding you and Old-Man. :P

Good :)

Old-Man! :lol:

Mr. E, if you are into geo maps of the area, check out http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/GwRD/GTA/GAT/index.htm and also Lance's maps at http://www.northtexasfossils.com/

Yes, I have seen these before. Thanks for the reminder though. I will add them to my packing list....I like to have all of the links that I think might be helpful on a given trip all handy, in case I need to get to them while I'm on the trip.

Hi, T.

Wow, thanks a lot bro.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Sweet, I hope to see some pics!

One of these years we should coordinate a trip, I want to hit some permian trilo's out there: http://www.jstor.org/pss/1305948

T

Indeed, bro.

I say let's shoot for sometime in 2011 or 12.

It's going to be impossible for us in 10 (unless it's when we're down there for our annual, X-mas/NewYear pilgrimage anyway), and tight in 11 (though possible; depending on a few things), but much more likely in 12.

What you think though?

-- Mr. Edonihce