Partial Bird; Green River Eocene

Auspex

It took ten months, but I finally paid-off and took possession of a beautifully prepped Green River partial bird. It is missing the skull, neck, and from the pelvis on back. What's left is the sternum (with an amazing 3-D keel), furcula ("wish bone"), coracoids, scapulas, the complete left wing, and all of the right wing but the final phalanx.

From the photos, I had thought it was a juvenile Gallinuloides wyomingensis, but now (with it in hand), I can see that it is an adult bird, and is much too small for that species. I am now faced with the pleasant task of trying to identify it :D

post-423-12597937813147_thumb.jpg

post-423-12597938231592_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

GREAT specimen Auspex, please keep us updated on the identification process.

By the way, unfortunately you have maxed out your smile limit for the day, please immediately frown.

It's a good thing you bought it, because I'm trying to imagine you finding it in the field. Every scenario ends up with a 911 call.... :P

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It took ten months, but I finally paid-off and took possession of a beautifully prepped Green River partial bird. It is missing the skull, neck, and from the pelvis on back. What's left is the sternum (with an amazing 3-D keel), furcula ("wish bone"), coracoids, scapulas, the complete left wing, and all of the right wing but the final phalanx.

From the photos, I had thought it was a juvenile Gallinuloides wyomingensis, but now (with it in hand), I can see that it is an adult bird, and is much too small for that species. I am now faced with the pleasant task of trying to identify it :

Auspex,

It is weird that the wings stayed together but the legs, neck, and skull are gone. It makes you wonder if some part of what's missing could be tucked underneath just out of view (but probably not). Something in the Early Eocene preferred drumsticks!

I remember seeing an isolated wing for sale some time ago. That was all they found of that individual too.

Any bird specimen with even just two articulated bones is a prize (great to find just a decent bone end wherever I've dug). Great pick-up!

i wish you wouldn't post stuff like that. i mean, i love the fact that you got a cool thing you wanted, but now i'm forced to wonder forever what happened to the rest of the bird. you have no idea how many times i'll think of that. really...it's like when i'm driving in the rain and suddenly become aware of the windshield wipers.

i'd have to stick some kind of weird head on that thing. maybe cut a jack-in-the-box antenna ball in half and put it on there. just to have closure.

From the photos, I had thought it was a juvenile Gallinuloides wyomingensis, but now (with it in hand), I can see that it is an adult bird, and is much too small for that species. I am now faced with the pleasant task of trying to identify it :D

Dang...that looks like the remains of my Thanksgiving dinner! :P

Really great fossil there... :wub::wub::wub:

Be true to the reality you create.

Auspex, too cool. 3D shot is really really nice, congrats on the addition. Dont hurt yourself with the unpleasant ID task.

Another curiousity question...What tells you it's an adult and not a juvenile? How does someone distinguish the two?

Tracer, the jack-in-the-box half antenna ball head vision is weird, but I can see it! Maybe add a little animation too? Thanks!

Regards, Chris

Another curiousity question...What tells you it's an adult and not a juvenile? How does someone distinguish the two?

The keel of the sternum, scapholunar, and cuneiform (the latter two being tiny bones in the "wrist") are all fully ossified (they are cartilaginous in juveniles and do not preserve). Also, not seen in the photos, there are traces of fully-formed primary flight feathers; this indicated that the bird was as large as it would ever get.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Awesome fossil, but it almost looks like a bat. Thats a small bird. Anyway cool fossil.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

...Thats a small bird.Anyway cool fossil.

Thanks Man!

Is is a small bird; it was not much larger than a House Sparrow, but with longer wings (11" +/- wingspan). It probably resembled a very small shorebird in general. It's just the right size to have been the maker of many of the 3/4" long tracks that practically litter the Green River landscape.

The keel of the sternum, scapholunar, and cuneiform (the latter two being tiny bones in the "wrist") are all fully ossified (they are cartilaginous in juveniles and do not preserve). Also, not seen in the photos, there are traces of fully-formed primary flight feathers; this indicated that the bird was as large as it would ever get.

Auspex, thanks for the explanation...Regards, Chris

Edited by Plantguy

Guest Smilodon

I have a real fondness for outstanding bird/flying reptile specimens although I don't collect them. Another ripper, Chas.

Btw, a few years back I saw a Green River specimen that was just both legs and feet - a good bit bigger, though. "Put them together and what have you got? Bibbidy Bibbidy Bop! (still minus the skull, though)

:D

Depends on your definition of headway...

I've ruled-out a lot of things, but am still uncertain even as to family. The shape of the sternum suggests Gallinuloididae.

I've a long way to go...which is just the way I like it :D

(I'll probably wind up having to go 'down town').

Depends on your definition of headway...

I've ruled-out a lot of things, but am still uncertain even as to family. The shape of the sternum suggests Gallinuloididae.

I've a long way to go...which is just the way I like it :D

(I'll probably wind up having to go 'down town').

That sounds like progress for me.

Great fossil, Auspex.

With birds, leaves, pet wood, insects, fish, it seems one could build a great collection just around Green River Fm fossils.