Pagurus

Wonderful bit of watercolor. Really great texturing!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

59 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Wonderful bit of watercolor. Really great texturing!

Thank you! I've been using gouache paints for these fish, which is a watercolor but somewhat more opaque, and helpful with textures. I had used mostly acrylic for my paintings until recently, but after 73 years I think I've finally found a medium and a style I like.

• I found this Informative 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

19 hours ago, Pagurus said:

Thank you! I've been using gouache paints for these fish, which is a watercolor but somewhat more opaque, and helpful with textures. I had used mostly acrylic for my paintings until recently, but after 73 years I think I've finally found a medium and a style I like.

For some reason I’ve never gotten into gouache. You use it quite skillfully, which is often a problem when I use it :P. Mediums and styles often take a while to develop, it took me forever to find anything I like and I’m still searching!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

On 5/20/2020 at 5:24 PM, Pagurus said:

I finally finished this Mioplosus. I still need to get my scanner working again for a more accurate representation of my painting. I find it real hard to let go of a painting and conclude that it's done, but I've got to stop eventually. Here is my current version of a Mioplosus.

(Now that I've photographed it I'm seeing a few areas I still want to work on a little. Just a little more. Stop, Michael, Stop!)

5ec59e28ef209_Mioplosuspainting520as.thumb.jpg.4c440437e271d2588ed0759e9648b084.jpg

On 9/8/2020 at 8:11 PM, Pagurus said:

I'd like to share a painting I recently finished of a Green River fish plate collected and prepped by @RJB

Ron shared the fish fossil and a bit of his prep process here.

I tried turning the clock back about 52 million years or so, and here's my result:

5f581399b1d66_MikesMioplosusPaintingofRJBFossilSlab.thumb.jpg.76f45b306405482cf277ccef6fe5f2e0.jpg

I used this photo Ron sent me as a model:

5f5813b7a556d_RJBFishPlateupdate.jpg.b47edbb9889589863ec9486608f0a425.jpg

It was an enjoyable and educational undertaking.

Mike

Ah, does my heart good to see some Mioplosus! Stunning artwork! Wish my fish were alittle more lively... oh well their bones are still neat.:thumbsu:

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

• 1 month later...

I'm sure I'll never add a GRF fossil gar to my collection, but here's one I painted recently, an Atractosteus, or Alligator Gar.

By the way, my Diplomystus painting, back a little way in this thread, is currently up for auction in this year's Christmas auction to benefit the forum. (Auction Lot N).  Thanks for looking.

Mike G.

5fac5096293a8_Atractosteus-MichaelGlaser-1.thumb.jpg.4375645a187fbd123720074e3e2dcbf0.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

Hey Mike, this is the first time I have seen this thread so of course I checked all of them, you have a great painting talent they look very real like something you would see in a book and a real informative way of visualizing the fish of the past

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

5 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Hey Mike, this is the first time I have seen this thread so of course I checked all of them, you have a great painting talent they look very real like something you would see in a book and a real informative way of visualizing the fish of the past

Thank you!  I've enjoyed working on these fish and learning a bit more about them. It's humbling to hold a 50 million year old fish in my hands, especially after prepping them out of the mud they were buried in for so long, and it's been an enjoyable, if not entirely successful, attempt to bring them back to life. 

Wow your painting are really beautiful. I think your use of colour is really eye catching , very impressive.
Nice work 

15 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Wow your painting are really beautiful. I think your use of colour is really eye catching , very impressive.
Nice work 

Thank you, Bobby!

Mike, all of your paintings are amazing. But I especially like the Phareodus. And again thank you for contributing the Diplomystus painting to the Christmas Auction.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Late to this, but once again a fishy triumph, Mike! You've a natural eye for how the scales catch the primary and reflected light, which grants these the realism that makes them pop. :dinothumb:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• 2 months later...

It's been awhile, but here's my latest fish, a  Redfieldius gracilis, inspired by a fossil I found several years ago on a hunt in Connecticut with Tim. @Fossildude19

Here's the painting:

6015b484a911c_Redfieldiusgracilis-copyrightMichaelGlaser2021.thumb.jpg.362f57f6aa7082b0f80355726622ee96.jpg

And here's the fossil:

6015b4cdadda0_Redfieldius-michaelglaser3.thumb.jpg.c70f10dc4dda7a904debff61fde6d3d4.jpg

• I found this Informative 13

@Pagurus 

That is fantastic, Mike! Well done, Sir!

I remember that day quite well.  :D 

We were digging in my pit, and had just removed a gigantic glacial boulder out of our way. This exposed a shelf of decent sized shale slabs.  
Mike and I had to rest after heaving that boulder out of the way.

I cleaned off a bit of the shelf, and there was the fish! I said, "Mike, I think you uncovered something here!" Grinning. 

Sure enough, more work to expose and remove the slab ended up with this fish being the prize! :) 

Great painting and fossil, Mike!  :tiphat:

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for all the fish!

• I found this Informative 2

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

21 hours ago, Kane said:

Fantastic! You definitely brought that square-scaled fishy to life! 

Thanks, Kane. All those fishy scales took forever to paint but I'm reasonably happy with the result. 

20 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

I remember that day quite well.  :D ...Great painting and fossil, Mike!

Thanks, Tim. I had forgotten about the boulder. I had been working at that spot for quite a while before the boulder needed to be moved, and had to sit after we pried it out of the way. And then you found the fish just laying there! A lesser man would have kept it. Thanks, Tim.

8 hours ago, grandpa said:

You are quite the artist.  Fantastic painting once again.

Thanks again, Tom.

5 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Thanks for all the fish!

You're welcome! Thanks for all your terrific sculptures!

Another great painting, Mike! I really love the blue tones in this one. Very well done! 

6 hours ago, grandpa said:

@Mahnmut, I see what you did there.  I wonder if @LabRatKing caught it as well.

I frequently drool over @Mahnmuts work. Much of my own is shelved due to a current shortage of lab techs and my health, but I enjoy being inspired to one day get back to the art of science.

And @Pagurus makes me miss my easel time.

Remember the question is " What is nine times six?"

• I found this Informative 2