Is this Kettneraspis trilobites real or not ? Thanks

• New Members

Hello, I’m a beginner of collecting trilobites fossils, and I have bought one recently but seems it’s a fake trilobites. Can you guys help me plz. Thanks! 

ADEC9201-A149-44A7-8C71-A9AE4DA7B705.jpeg

4942AD3B-B40A-47BE-B887-72D38A3C63EE.jpeg

202EC6F8-B4F1-453B-A6E5-0E661ABAA8AE.jpeg

Hmm the texture looks odd but I would imagine those spines, especially the occipital horn would be very difficult to carve or cast. I'm not sure but it might just be odd prep or poor restoration to try to hide the quality of the prep work. It could also maybe be a composite piece? In any case I don't think it's entirely fake but you should wait for more opinions.

@Kane @piranha

• I found this Informative 2

If you have access to acetone my recommendation is you take a Q-tip and wet the end of it lightly with acetone and gently brush it against a few suspect spots. If the end of the Q-tip turns black there's paint. This would mean that sections of it are carved or molded and then painted black. If nothing happens then the trilobite is likely real but with some rough prep.

There's something not quite right about this one. As others have said, the texture seems suspect, almost as if it were a painted clay. The morphology seems correct, including the little nodes near the edge of the thoracic segments. I'm just not absolutely certain about this one. 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Acetone would be a good test some of cephalon and thorax are likely real. Lots of restoration and fake parts