Did we find something? Central PA shale pit

NateFollmer

First off, sorry for taking a “field photo”. I took a photo of this and then we left it back at the pit (it’s pure chaos trying to keep 3 kids in order lol). 

We found a good bit of these darker things near the top of a shale pit in Mifflin Co (I think we’re still in Mifflin, if not it’s the southern tip of Centre). That one on the left by itself is around 2 1/2 inches long (~63mm). I tried to do some research and I think there was also some burrows in the shale in that area, but I’m a total noob so maybe I’m just seeing what I want to see ;) (I’ll get photos of them next time we go out). 

Hopefully that’s enough info to get started. Let me know if I can add anything else or get more photos when we go back! 

756F1713-AB56-4EF7-8F36-9AFA23A65D7D.jpeg

Actually,  we encourage field photos, so you did good. Unfortunately I am not sure what the dark objects are. Could be some sort of mineral form. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Not sure what you found, but I too wanted to extend a welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.

Thanks all! Regardless of what it is, it was enough to get the boys excited! That’s enough for me! 

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome from Virginia! Site and trip photos are awesome and a great part of any trip post.

I'm leaning towards geological, but even so, I'm not sure what.

@Shamalama is from Pennsylvania. I wonder if he has ever seen something like this? :headscratch:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

15 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

@Shamalama is from Pennsylvania. I wonder if he has ever seen something like this? :headscratch:

My kids thought it was fossilized bear poop. Let’s go with that lol

Burrows? Ophiomorpha?

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

They look like mineral-stained concretions.but I do think you should post an image of bear poop for comparison.:)

15 hours ago, westcoast said:

They look like mineral-stained concretions.but I do think you should post an image of bear poop for comparison.:)

I have my own photo of a pile I found up in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, but I can't find it. Dang! Oh well. 

https://bear.org/scat-droppings/

I'd lean toward mud clasts. Though burrows are not out of the realm of possibility. If you want a heads up on a cool little spots to take kids to in center Centre County  or in Blair County. Let me know.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

It looks cool no matter what it is - make a nice decoration.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Thanks all! @sTamprockcoin that would be awesome. I recently moved to Hollidaysburg, so I’m a little lost on this side of the state. Most of my treks in the woods were on the eastern side (Centre Co was about as far west as I’ve really explored). 

On 5/20/2020 at 10:15 PM, FossilNerd said:

On 5/22/2020 at 2:53 AM, westcoast said:

Odd looking structures but I have seen similar before in the Mahantango and Trimmer Rock formations. Concretions of some sort that have been stained with a mineral I believe.

Interesting to see that many near each other.

Dave

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

18 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Odd looking structures but I have seen similar before in the Mahantango and Trimmer Rock formations. Concretions of some sort that have been stained with a mineral I believe.

Interesting to see that many near each other.

Dave

I'm agreeing. In addition to that I'd say if they are much harder than the enclosing shale I'd pop a few open. The best Greenops I've ever collected from the Mahantango were in purple concretions. They were also in the surrounding shale but not as complete and definitely crumbly. We also got a few crinoid calyces from the purple concretions.