Fotm November

Phoenixflood

FOTM November  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What will the fossil of the month be for November?

• Nautiloid called Aturia Angustata Lincoln creek formation (Micropterus101)
    • symphyseal Cow shark tooth (Haddy)
    • 6.45" Meg tooth (Megateeth)
    • Nautilus Obesum... Lyme Regis... Dorset....Sinemurian Lower Jurassic (Terry Dactyll)
    • Ptychodus polygyrus (Jax)
    • ?Chew on THIS!? (Danwoehr)
    • Greenops trilobite, Arkona Forum Trip (michigantim)

It's that time again, time for the Fossil of the Month! :D Thanks to all those who participated in entering FOTM for November! Even if you weren't picked for this months' poll you all still entered awesome fossils! The mods have our gears turning for a new couple of contests so that those of you out there whose fossils take longer than a month to prep can enter. There is a lot to consider about the prepped fossils so we hope you understand. Any suggestions would be welcome. Also note that it appears Photobucket links allow for bigger pictures of your finds. At least that is what it seems like. :wacko: What I do is just copy the properties of the link. If you'd like to attach larger images of the fossils listed, please feel fre to do so :)

So here are the choices!!! What will be this forums' choice for FOTM for November? :D

1. Nautiloid called Aturia Angustata Lincoln creek formation (Micropterus101)

post-423-12603314115739_thumb.jpg

2. symphyseal Cow shark tooth (Haddy)

IMGP9253.JPG

3. 6.45" Meg tooth (Megateeth)

645b.jpg

4. Nautilus Obesum... Lyme Regis... Dorset....Sinemurian Lower Jurassic (Terry Dactyll)

SSA51691a.jpg

5. Ptychodus polygyrus (Jax)

teeth 224.jpg

6. "Chew on THIS!" (Danwoehr)

IMG_1314b.jpg

7. Greenops trilobite (michigantim)

post-423-126033080894_thumb.jpg

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Heres the matrix shot of mine, if anyone wanted to see it. Dan, I would like to see a close up of your tooth.

Good luck everyone

post-221-12602091967649_thumb.jpg

Heres the matrix shot of mine, if anyone wanted to see it. Dan, I would like to see a close up of your tooth.

Good luck everyone

ive voted :wub: but im not telling whom i voted for hehehehe :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: the name tells it all

i came saw drooled and collected

Heres the matrix shot of mine, if anyone wanted to see it.

Mmmmmmmmm, matrix. That fossil's appeal is greater than the sum of its parts (and the parts are wonderful).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

ive voted :wub: but im not telling whom i voted for hehehehe :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: the name tells it all

Nice ta meetcha, Mrs. Micropterus!

Another difficult vote.... Theres some exceptional fossils every month.... there are obviously some very good fossil hunters post on this forum.....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I now have prepped shots of my tooth which I'll post tonight, contest or no contest. The real prize is finding a cool fossil and rough as this tooth may be in spots, it constitutes 5 years of good times and persistence. My biggest tooth to date, it looks dang good amongst the myriad and sundry Pleistocene atrocities adorning my humble man-cave.....

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I voted for the big meg.....

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I now have prepped shots of my tooth which I'll post tonight, contest or no contest. The real prize is finding a cool fossil and rough as this tooth may be in spots, it constitutes 5 years of good times and persistence. My biggest tooth to date, it looks dang good amongst the myriad and sundry Pleistocene atrocities adorning my humble man-cave.....

Dan your tooth is AWESOME! :)

Here's a "write in" vote for the Greenops MichiganTim found, don't know why it didn't make the cut.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Here's a "write in" vote for the Greenops MichiganTim found, don't know why it didn't make the cut.

I will second and third that. That was a rare find. You will find a 100 pygidiums before you find a complete trilobite.

It is a wonderful fossil!!! It didn't make the cut because it was prepped by another person who didn't find it.

On a side note: We are looking for fossils that are found during the month of the contest and they must be found and presented by that person. Also we will only include the information you provide. We are looking over all of the details of FOTM and are trying to work out the kinks. We also are thinking about creating a new contest for preppers.

BTW,

thanks for mentioning that Crinus took the Greenops to prep for me. Now I have witnesses.

Watch your backs, folks, these two guys were talking about tying me up after I found the trilobite and Tornoceras.

;)

It is a wonderful fossil!!! It didn't make the cut because it was prepped by another person who didn't find it.

On a side note: We are looking for fossils that are found during the month of the contest and they must be found and presented by that person. Also we will only include the information you provide. We are looking over all of the details of FOTM and are trying to work out the kinks. We also are thinking about creating a new contest for preppers.

Phoenix,

There is nothing in the rules that says someone else cannot prep your find. Tim found it in November and he submitted it to the contest. It should have made the cut as a first rate find (IMO) - and I'm not a "trilobite guy". :D

Edited by JohnJ

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

That rule is news to me. I wonder how many people on this forum have the equipment. I added up the cost of all of my equipment for prepping fossil and figure that it is in the range of $10,000 - $15,000. It took me about 30 years to acquire all the equipment. So now we have limited this contest to those that can afford the equipment.

End of discussion for me on this subject. I do not want to detract from the other deserving fossils.

<EDIT> The Greenops has been added to the poll.

PM me (Auspex) to change your vote, if you wish to)

<re-edit: you can delete and change your own vote>

Edited by Auspex

What happened to my amber bug entry??

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

What happened to my amber bug entry??

Sadly, it wasn't self-found. That was a condition that just about everyone was adamant about.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

The bug was found by me but the chunk of raw amber was not. Grinding, polishing and then searching for hours over a microscope is not the same as receiving a prepared specimen. Anyway I thought the Nautilus was the best one with a close second by Jax's fossil.

So if I extract the DNA of a dinosuar from one of my amber bugs and grow a T-Rex I guess since he's alive that wouldn't count either :P

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

I'm not trying to be a bad guy all. I seriously have taken each fossil that was presented into consideration before they were selected and thought about your possible reactions. I don't like upsetting anyone. I just made a judgment. The last thing I want is to be unfair. The rules are it must be found by you (which I took to meant out in the field) and it must be found this month. I'd be happy to hear your concerns and take suggestions for ways we can improve FOTM and perhaps a new Prepped fossil section.

All Note:

The Greenops trilobite, found by michigantim at Arkona on the 11/14 Forum trip has been added to the poll. If you have already voted, but would like to change your vote, please PM me and I will change it (I will need to know what you originally voted for).

<edit> You can delete and change your own vote.

Excellent solution, guys. Auspex, if someone has voted and wants to change their vote, the Poll gives them the option to Delete their vote. Once deleted, they can vote for another fossil...(less for you to keep up with). :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I've voted. I'm trilobite fan but Terry's Nautilus is awesome! :rolleyes:

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough