A Bunch Of Brachiopods

shorty

These were all found on the same hillside - Mazon Creek area of Illinois.

I think they're Lingula.

2 of them gave little internal molds (or casts?) that still look like smashed shells filled with sand. Several of the concretions have more than one shell in them, but on different sides or at different angles.

The good thing is these concretions are small & oddly shaped so other people pass them up (lucky for me!)

Question - What's the best way to take care of the little molds/casts so they don't break apart?

Thanks!

post-1206-12602538372407_thumb.jpg

post-1206-1260253852286_thumb.jpg

post-1206-12602538832935_thumb.jpg

post-1206-12602538916677_thumb.jpg

Nice haul!

I looks to me like a lot of those are bivalves, probably Posidonia fracta. Bivalves are much more common at Mazon than brachs.

The 3rd from the left, in the bottom row, does look like Lingula, though.

According to Shabica, in "The Fossil Fauna of Mazon Creek," Lingula "is represented in modern seas and in the fossil record of the Cambrian."

That's one long time to be around!

Nice finds, the crushed looking shells may be just that, shells that were crushed by the weight of sediment and then filled in.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Shorty.... well done, nice finds.....you would of thought the nodule forming around the shell would of prevented crushing, as the shell is the nucleus for the formation of the nodule.......

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Here's some more scans from Shabica's Guide to Mazon Creek Fauna.

In the entry on brachiopods, Shabica writes, "Only two genera of brachiopods have been reported from there, their percentage of the composition of Essex biota being given as 0.1 percent."

So, not impossible, but very rare. You have a better 'chance' at finding a Tully Monster, at 0.4% of biota.

1. Entry in the brachiopod chpt.

2. Bivalves

3. Key to Bivavles

4. Bivalves + key

post-2436-12603915409393_thumb.jpg

post-2436-12603915948651_thumb.jpg

post-2436-12603916274618_thumb.jpg

post-2436-12603917172941_thumb.jpg

This is a small bag of Brachiopods a friend brought

back from Hay River N.W.T.

I should do something with them, like even clean them

post-310-12603959568504_thumb.jpg

Very cool! That's a nice friend to bring you bags of fossils!

You know, if those little guys are feeling neglected, just sitting in a bag waiting to be cleaned and loved - I'd be happy to take care of them for you! ;)

Tim,

Thanks for the info on bivalves & brachiopods. I'll check them again tonight & try to make sure I've got it right.

In the entry on brachiopods, Shabica writes, "Only two genera of brachiopods have been reported from there, their percentage of the composition of Essex biota being given as 0.1 percent."

So, not impossible, but very rare. You have a better 'chance' at finding a Tully Monster, at 0.4% of biota.

But for the record, so far I've found 2 tullies & a handful of tully parts, so maybe ... :)

Kim

Two Tullys? Nice! I'd love to see some photos.

Yes, statistically speaking, you're on the right track!

How many nodules have you split?

BTW -- that island you were hunting on -- Bug Island?