Prehistoric Road Trip June 17th

jpc

I just watched the show last night. I liked it!

You did great JP! It was good to put a face with a name. Love the hat!

Now I want to come out your way and visit more than ever! Tate Museum here I come! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Just watched the first episode last night and it was done quite well especially for viewer's that were not familiar with fossils.   I loved your hat, my wife got a big kick out of it as well as all the frolicking and fun in the plaster.   Has someone worked on that jacket yet?  Enjoyable episode looking forward to the next. 

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

Just watched the first episode last night and it was done quite well especially for viewer's that were not familiar with fossils.   I loved your hat, my wife got a big kick out of it as well as all the frolicking and fun in the plaster.   Has someone worked on that jacket yet?  Enjoyable episode looking forward to the next. 

I would have to look at my field notes to see which jacket we actuallyworked on.  There are alot of them in this quarry.  One of my voluteers has started working one ont hat might be this one.  In the field it was labeled as "mystery bones"... turns out it is lookinglike the braincase to our Diplodocus skull.  

• I found this Informative 2

I finally got around to watching it. That was wonderful, and it was great to see JP! Now I have a long list of places in Wyoming I want to visit!

Hi JP,

I hadn't seen the post but happened to see the show on the guide about an hour before it was on and recorded it - just watched it a couple of hours ago.  It was great to see you in action and see the Tate again.  I haven't visited since the 90's (last time I was in Wyoming).  Is the amphisbaenid display still out?  The ceiling looks higher than I remember and the place looks more spacious.  

Seeing the show reminded me of the the 90's.  I was laid off and rehired by the same company three times from '90 to '93 and some of that time in between and to about 1998 was spent on the road from California to Arizona to Utah to New Mexico to Colorado to Wyoming and Montana.  I used to tag along with a friend and his family when they went on vacation.  He was an ex-oil company geologist so we went to all kids of places from tourist spots to places not on a map - spots he knew where we could look for volcanic bombs or see bighorn sheep - stuff like that.  We went to national monuments and parks so his Girl Scout daughters could pick up badges.  We stopped at every rock shop and oddball roadside attraction just to see what they had.  Too many people drive by a lot of great stuff.  I wonder how much of it there still is.  I know a lot of rock shops are gone now.

Anyway, it's hard to get a feeling for how much open country is out there in Wyoming, South Dakota, and Montana from a one-hour TV show but I thought viewers got a taste of it on that one.  You certainly get an idea of what fossil collecting is really like when you watch the Bear Gulch segment.  You are able to split out a nice big piece of shale but there's absolutely nothing on it.  Then, you pull out a smaller one that has part of something that looks important and you go sorting through the rubble for more of it.

That was funny when you said someone else ID's the crocodile teeth.

Jess