Real Tooth

FossilHunterNYC

Bought this awhile ago can someone tell me if it’s real or not and what possible shark it came from? 

827F4204-E895-44FC-A7E4-BB3129AEE85B.jpeg

I agree - Moroccan Otodus obliquus

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

12 hours ago, Praefectus said:

It is real. Otodus obliquus shark tooth. 

Are they related to great whites ? Read that they’re a mackerel shark 

They are distantly related. Both Otodus obliquus and the great white shark are lamniforms and they likely shared a common ancestor during the late cretaceous (Cretolamna sp.). Otodus obliquus is the direct ancestor of megalodon and the other megatooth sharks, but not the great white. White sharks are thought to have evolved from early makos. 

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

This topic is littlebit old, but i think you could get some more features to show if you want. 

I bought similar otodus tooth some time ago and it looks like it is in similar matrix as my specimen. First thing i did, i took some dental picks and tools to get that other cusp to daylight. 

Its quite easy first prepjob even for a firsttimer just like me. :D

If you prep that red circle area, it could look much nicer.

PSX_20200701_163445__01.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 12:45 PM, Lihaaja said:

This topic is littlebit old, but i think you could get some more features to show if you want. 

I bought similar otodus tooth some time ago and it looks like it is in similar matrix as my specimen. First thing i did, i took some dental picks and tools to get that other cusp to daylight. 

Its quite easy first prepjob even for a firsttimer just like me. :D

If you prep that red circle area, it could look much nicer.

PSX_20200701_163445__01.jpg

Thanks !!! I’ll give it a try 

On 27.7.2020 at 12:17 AM, FossilHunterNYC said:

Thanks !!! I’ll give it a try 

I just realized, that actually my profile picture shows the final result. :D I prepped that cusp close to camera to daylight.

Just the tip: Even though enamel in teeth are quite hard ( I tested it by "trying" to scratch it with my tools, just to be sure how careful I had to be. I couldnt get a single scratch. ) Try not to hit it with your own tools. My thoughts are, even if it doesnt get scratches or marks, its better to learn to be careful right from the start so. It pays off with later, when dealing with more fragile specimen. :brokebone:

On 7/28/2020 at 9:45 AM, Lihaaja said:

I just realized, that actually my profile picture shows the final result. :D I prepped that cusp close to camera to daylight.

Just the tip: Even though enamel in teeth are quite hard ( I tested it by "trying" to scratch it with my tools, just to be sure how careful I had to be. I couldnt get a single scratch. ) Try not to hit it with your own tools. My thoughts are, even if it doesnt get scratches or marks, its better to learn to be careful right from the start so. It pays off with later, when dealing with more fragile specimen. :brokebone:

Very good prepping tips! You can even use wooden toothpicks, if the matrix allows (sometimes copiously applied amounts of glue may harden the surface to the extent it's difficult to get through), which will cause even less damage if it hits something. Use a sharp needle or dental hooks to remove the matrix, preferably under magnification, and keep your other hand close to the needle-tip to prevent it from overshooting it's target. Use finer needles for finer work, course hooks for courser work.

Finally, be aware that, though it does appear more of the tooth may be hidden underneath the rock in this case, that's by no means a guarantee. With Moroccan fossils the general rule is you buy what you see - and if there's anything more to it, that's an added bonus (i.e. the tooth could just as well be a partial). Just to be forewarned.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

The enamel is hard, but carefull with the softer roots on these. 

With Moroccan fossils the general rule is you buy what you see...

Only with Moroccan fossils? :) That rule should be applied to USA fossils aswell, parafrized as "pay for what you see, not what sellers want you to see". ;)

• I found this Informative 1

4 minutes ago, aeon.rocks said:

The enamel is hard, but carefull with the softer roots on these. 

Only with Moroccan fossils? :) That rule should be applied to USA fossils aswell, parafrized as "pay for what you see, not what sellers want you to see". ;)

Have less experience with US fossils, but good to know ;)

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett