Monster Catheliopod

frozen_turkey

Here is a monster catheliopod that i found awhile ago in a new part of a quary i go search at. This is most likely the biggest speciman from the quarry to date.

This is the side that was in hiden in the rock. my finger is where the fossil ends.

post-2572-12605988615749_thumb.jpg

-Frozen

Edited by frozen_turkey

That's a beast alright!

About the pics; they look like they suffer from both poor focus and motion blur. Use the "macro" setting (if your camera has it), and get plenty of light on the subject, so the auto-focus will work properly and the shutter speed will be higher.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ok, help an old plantguy out...I've got to admit I've never heard of a Catheliopod. What type of creature is this? Age? :wacko: Many thanks! Chris

Ok, help an old plantguy out...I've got to admit I've never heard of a Catheliopod. What type of creature is this? Age? :wacko: Many thanks! Chris

A catheliopod is a group of squid like animals like ammonites and this thing (dont know actual name of it). And this speciman is from the divonian period, and if it was whole i estimate it would be 5 to 10 feet long if not longer. :blink:

Edited by frozen_turkey

Link!

It is a monster one.

MikeD, Nicholas, frozen_turkey, thanks all for the education/replies! I got it now...A Devonian Oversized Shelled Calamari!==>Just kidding.

Nice really big invert fossil!! Regards, Chris