New Bones From The Pits (November)

podope

Peter,

You make it look too easy. :P

I still think it would be wonderful if you could photograph smaller groups of your amazing finds. Again, most of us only find worn fragments of the incredible things you find complete. Thank you for showing them.

:pic:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Peter,

What do you do with that much material? Do you supply museums?

Mike

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Peter,

What do you do with that much material? Do you supply museums?

Mike

Mike,

I collecting this type and other fossil in Hungary but I do not know what I will do with them.

I want to make a museum but in my Contry at this time, not enaught money for personal museum.

I think if I have enaught time I start to make a WEB museum where I can show all fossils details.

Kind Regards

Peter

Peter,

Fantastic is a word I do not use very often but your November finds are FANTASTIC!

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Years ago down in South Florida a guy expanded his love of Butterflies to the point where his home became an arborium and eventually thousands came to see it. Now it is a world famous attraction. It is quite possible, if you have the room to make part of your home a museum. If it draws enough attention perhaps funding may come for you to expand it elsewhere. B)

Be true to the reality you create.

Very cool!

My question, when you find another tooth like, do you think to yourself, man, just another mammoth tooth.....?

:)

Hi Peter, what a collection!!!

Some followups questions on my posting from October where you mentioned having app. 300 complete mammoth teeth, and app. 700-800 broken mammoth teeth, and app. 20 half jawbone with teeth. Thanks for that info. Obviously you now have many more....

I'm curious on why these fossil deposits are so rich. Did all of these animals die in some type of sink hole where they may have fell in and accumulated over time? This isn't some mass death assemblage that occurred in a single event is it? Do you know any of the geology of these Pleistocene deposits? Thanks.

Regards, Chris

Edited by Plantguy

i really enjoy seeing this stuff, but i would like to see more of the various types of bones. i loved the pictures posted once of a bunch of cave-bear teeth and phalanges and stuff. i'm also curious regarding how much tusk material is found compared to tooth material. it seems tj and i have found a fair number of pieces of tooth material from mammoth/mastodon, but we've never found anything we've identified as tusk material. i guess just the difference between the resistance to destruction of enamel versus ivory.

but anyway, podope, your fossiling opportunity is amazing. simply amazing. before you started posting, i had no idea that there was any place in the world like that.

Hi Peter, what a collection!!!

Some followups questions on my posting from October where you mentioned having app. 300 complete mammoth teeth, and app. 700-800 broken mammoth teeth, and app. 20 half jawbone with teeth. Thanks for that info. Obviously you now have many more....

I'm curious on why these fossil deposits are so rich. Did all of these animals die in some type of sink hole where they may have fell in and accumulated over time? This isn't some mass death assemblage that occurred in a single event is it? Do you know any of the geology of these Pleistocene deposits? Thanks.

Regards, Chris

Hi Chris,

The Gyorujfalu is very interesting locality. I do not know the exact geology of this place.

There are 2 working pits and 3-4 not working.

From working pits time to time I get the bones founded by workers.

In not working pits left a big quantity big size gravels and mud. This gravel contains a lot of bones.

I am diging this holms, but the better bones stay usually under wother.

So I diving in this lakes.

I think that is an app. 2 Mio old river deposit.

The same place in Europe is not too rare.

You can find deposits in Poland an in Germany. There are big quantity bones too.

Kind regards,

Peter

Edited by podope

nice fossils. do you have mammoth tusk?

Yes, I have 2 full mammoth tusks. The length of them app. 1.4 m.

The full mamoth tusk are rare in this pits.

i really enjoy seeing this stuff, but i would like to see more of the various types of bones. i loved the pictures posted once of a bunch of cave-bear teeth and phalanges and stuff. i'm also curious regarding how much tusk material is found compared to tooth material. it seems tj and i have found a fair number of pieces of tooth material from mammoth/mastodon, but we've never found anything we've identified as tusk material. i guess just the difference between the resistance to destruction of enamel versus ivory.

but anyway, podope, your fossiling opportunity is amazing. simply amazing. before you started posting, i had no idea that there was any place in the world like that.

Hi Tracer,

The full mammoth tusk is rare in this pits. I have only 2.

Usually I find the partial tusks. The condition of this tusks is not the better.

I have to prepare them fastly. If You want I can show them.

I have a question. Can You speak russian?

Kind Regards

Peter

Hi Chris,

The Gyorujfalu is very interesting locality. I do not know the exact geology of this place.

There are 2 working pits and 3-4 not working.

From working pits time to time I get the bones founded by workers.

In not working pits left a big quantity big size gravels and mud. This gravel contains a lot of bones.

I am diging this holms, but the better bones stay usually under wother.

So I diving in this lakes.

I think that is an app. 2 Mio old river deposit.

The same place in Europe is not too rare.

You can find deposits in Poland an in Germany. There are big quantity bones too.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter, thank you for the reply/information. I had to go back and see your other postings...didnt realize the variety and different ages you had already shown us. You obviously have the privilege of collecting at a very very special location. Wishing you continued collecting success! Let us know when the museum opens! Regards, Chris