I can be classified as a fossil. I'm pushing 80. I sometimes find older fossils, like my diplurus newarki, which I collected BOTH SIDES in 1960, in Granton Quarry, Lockatong Fm,, northern NJ. Just thought I would show it off.

I also have numerous Cucullaea gigantea (bivalve) of the Aquia Fm (Paleocene)., southern Maryland, and Dosiniopsis from the same site, both with lots of original calcite shell material. And Miocene Chesapecten sp. from Port Republic area, Scientists Cliffs, MD, most single valve pecten, but some bivalve specimens as well, and some encrusted with Balanus concavus.

In my geo hobby days, I collected minerals and fossils in situ.  Professionally, I was a marine geophysisicist and worked in ALL of the worlds oceans.. 

Fossil Fish-New Jersey.JPG

Fossil-Dosiniopsis 2.JPG

Fossil-Chesapecten with paper.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Hello from Delaware! You're in my hunting grounds. (I consider anything from Big Brook to Northern VA my local hunting grounds.)

Never seen a fish like that come out of NJ. Sweet!

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

Occasionally went up to New Egypt, NJ, just outside of Fort Dix. They have Triassic ammonites (straight ones) in the mud, that just come out in your hands. If you want the locale for the Cucullaea and Dosiniopsis, I can forward a map, either here or to a postal address. Your choice.  Norm

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Love the Diplurus newarki  :D 

Thanks for showing these to us. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

6 hours ago, Five Oceans said:

Occasionally went up to New Egypt, NJ, just outside of Fort Dix. They have Triassic ammonites (straight ones) in the mud, that just come out in your hands. If you want the locale for the Cucullaea and Dosiniopsis, I can forward a map, either here or to a postal address. Your choice.  Norm

Welcome from the opposite side of the continent.

I'd like to see pics of those straight ammonoids (orthocone nautiloids?) if you have any.

• I found this Informative 1

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hello and welcome! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Welcome from Illinois, USA.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Many thanks. My GKs are 22, 19, 14 and 13. Only one likes fossil hunting and I take her whenever possible. She especially likes shark bones and teeth from the Miocene of North Carolina, Virginia and Maryland,.  but has found bone fragments of whales and also alligator and peccary teeth.