Shuler Museum S.m.u.

Mike Owens

Fixin' to leave for our tour of the Shuler Museum. I hope to take a lot of photos & post them within the next week or two. This is a "back room" tour not open to the public. One of the perks you can get by working with or donateing specimens to a museum. Hope y'all have a great day. I know I am! getdown.gif

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

They ought to be picking you up in limo!

Have a great time :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Take your heart medication and pace yourself.... :hot:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Here is some Sea Turtle material from the North Sulphur River.There are 4 turtles stacked on top of each other.They are about 3 ft in diameter. Very cool!

post-417-12610880547917_thumb.jpgpost-417-12610880907148_thumb.jpgpost-417-12610881215249_thumb.jpgpost-417-12610881427284_thumb.jpg

I just wanted to say thank you to Mike Owens for inviting me, and it was a pleasure to finally meet Shirley.Also, thank you to Dale Winkler and Shawn Hamm for showing us some amazing fossils.Here is the Ptychodus plate that Shirley Owens found and donated.There are also two fish fossils that Mike donated.post-417-1261091716302_thumb.jpgpost-417-12610917441799_thumb.jpg

Also here is a huge Mosasaur vert.Tylosaurus proriger.

post-417-12610917956841_thumb.jpg

Looks like gold laying on the table there!!!

What state were those from??

Dallas Texas, where Prestonwood Mall used to be.

You will never look at a Museum the same way

After spending time in the BACK ROOM

Remember keep hands on top of head

Smile it makes'em wonder what you've being up to ;)

In the back, Dale Winkler, our host. Left to right: Shawn Hamm & Barry Aaron. Shawn is a post grad student working towards his masters. His subject is the Ptychodus shark. Barry is the one & only CreekCrawler. It was nice to finally get to meet Dale & look at all the great fossils there. I'm having problems uploading my photos. I will have to do them one at a time as I can.

post-15-12611718790548_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike Owens

Here is some Sea Turtle material from the North Sulphur River.There are 4 turtles stacked on top of each other.They are about 3 ft in diameter. Very cool!

post-417-12610880547917_thumb.jpgpost-417-12610880907148_thumb.jpgpost-417-12610881215249_thumb.jpgpost-417-12610881427284_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the virtual tour and great photos!

In the third picture here it looks like they have tried to articulate 2 claws together :unsure:

Great stuff, Mike & Barry. I'm figeting on my seat, waiting on Mike to load more pics.....

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks for the virtual tour and great photos!

In the third picture here it looks like they have tried to articulate 2 claws together unsure.gif

If I remember correctly, this specimen is still insitu.

This is "Big Al" our Texas Allosaurus.

post-15-12612452111518_thumb.jpg

I hope when C.C. gets back from killing Bambi & all his kin rolleyes.gif that he will have some better shots of "Big Al" to post. I sure am glad he was there with his camera. I had mine on the wrong setting & screwed up most of my photos. sad.gif

Looking above at my altered post it appears I have inadvertently violated the forum's morality code. Looking up the word, the way I used it, shows it to mean to make an error/mistake. I want to apologize to all members that my post may have offended before the morality police censored it. I will endeavor to be more careful in the future. wink.gif

post-15-12612463012439_thumb.jpg

Edited by Auspex
Word filter adjustment

This is my last "Big Al" photo.

post-15-12612477199922_thumb.jpg

This is Tethysaurus mosasaur. Don't know if it contributed to it's demise, but note the fish tail stuck in it's throat. cool.gif

post-15-12612484059877_thumb.jpg

Fantastic! An Allosaur and a mosasaur aspiration!

Looking above at my altered post it appears I have inadvertently violated the forum's morality code. Looking up the word, the way I used it, shows it to mean to make an error/mistake. I want to apologize to all members that my post may have offended before the morality police censored it. I will endeavor to be more careful in the future.

The word filter is automatic, and came with a looooong list, some of which are completely acceptable in our context.

Let me know what the word is (put a space between each letter so it won't be XXXXed out) and I can edit the filter.

EDIT: I think I got it :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Charles. - The word was: S c r e w e d. I think you know my post was in jest. Poking a little fun at a good system that may have gone a step too far in protecting our young from life's realities. biggrin.gif - Mike

Fantastic! An Allosaur and a mosasaur aspiration!

If I remember correctly, not only is this the only Allosaurus ever found in Texas, it is 95% compelte. Which is unheard of for any large fossil. I don't know where the rest of the critter is (just failed to ask). All we got to see was the scull. The mosasaur was a smaller species that I had never heard of before. We didn't take enough photos. We got to look in drawer after drawer of neat dead critters. I hope to make another, better prepared, trip & take a whole bunch of pics! All in all a very nice time was had by all.

The word filter is automatic, and came with a looooong list, some of which are completely acceptable in our context.

Let me know what the word is (put a space between each letter so it won't be XXXXed out) and I can edit the filter.

EDIT: I think I got it smile.gif

Nice shots Mike... thanks for postings and sharing those neat fossil images. PL

I love show & tell! Whether mine or others. I'll try & do better on the next trip.