Fossil found in Boundary Co. Idaho

Rob in Idaho

• New Members

Hello and if I mess this up, bear with me, this is my first real post! I live in an area that is known for not having any fossils, all my finds come from road trips or from when I lived in Michigan. (And occasionally what I buy.)  I've been here in North Idaho for over 14years and the nearest fossils are just across the boarder in Montana and in the next county south of me and are stromatolites. So imagine my surprise when I was searching the Kootenai river for signs of antique bottles, etc. and I notice a fossil! It appears to be the top of a horn coral. It is very small, about 1-1/2 centimeters across. ( I will make one of those international size things soon!) It was very exciting to find it here, however I can not 100% verify that it originates here, as the Kootenai flows down from Canada and it is very possible that it was carried down from up there. Still it is my only local find and has become an immediate favorite. Please look over the pics, I'm not overly familiar with horn coral, so input would be appreciated. 

Semper Fi, Rob

July 28 2020a.JPG

July 28 2020b (2).JPG

July 28 2020c.JPG

July 28,2020d.JPG

July 28,2020e.JPG

Nice find. There's a good chance that there's more fossils in the creek. Marine fossils are a gregarious bunch.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Cool! I've never heard of anyone finding fossils in the Kootenai before, but there's always a first time. I'm not aware of any fossil bearing strata that the Kootenai flows through (it's pretty much all igneous/metamorphic stuff), but if it didn't come from up north then I suppose it's entirely possible something has gone unmapped in the area.