Question about Moroccan Mosasaur tooth.

Georgemckenzie

Recently bought this tooth along with a plesiosaur tooth,the plesiosaur tooth having a few repairs

I’m curious as to what’s sticking out the top of this tooth wether it be a bit root or what not I don’t know 

Any help is appreciated:

image.jpg

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Question about Moroccan Mosasaur tooth.

To my eye it appears a piece of random bone that has found its way to attachment at the base of the crown. It seems to rest on its "side" occluding the base of the crown. A fragment of root or jaw would not naturally hold that position; although it may be such a fragment, displaced.  

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

4 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

To my eye it appears a piece of random bone that has found its way to attachment at the base of the crown. It seems to rest on its "side" occluding the base of the crown. A fragment of root or jaw would not naturally hold that position; although it may be such a fragment, displaced.  

Thanks for the reply is there anyway to know what the bone might be off?

Just now, Georgemckenzie said:

Is there anyway to know what kind of bone it could be? And thanks for the reply 

Probably not. Too small, and no identifying features on chunks that small. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Probably not. Too small, and no identifying features on chunks that small. 

Thanks for the reply as well I’m not gonna complain it makes me like the piece more haha 

I agree that it's likely a random piece of bone that was fossilised right next to it. With some better sharp closeups it might be possible to tell if it's part of a reptile or fish bone. It's likely too fragmentary to tell what type of bone exactly, but fish and reptiles and fish have very different bone structure.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

17 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

I agree that it's likely a random piece of bone that was fossilised right next to it. With some better sharp closeups it might be possible to tell if it's part of a reptile or fish bone. It's likely too fragmentary to tell what type of bone exactly, but fish and reptiles and fish have very different bone structure.

Are these any better 8AF68F03-39D1-4124-A046-14CC95244E38.thumb.jpeg.99132533e11d66cdbef25c830c174dc0.jpeg98808F66-AE9E-47B7-9B69-7C64D61742A6.thumb.jpeg.533199ab3fbcfd0435e33eebbf18f0d2.jpeg

Good photos, thanks.

I would say that's most likely part of a fish bone. It's very common to find all sorts of fish bones next to Mosasaur remains from Morocco. So yeah, pretty typical. But it's a nice piece.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

44 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Good photos, thanks.

I would say that's most likely part of a fish bone. It's very common to find all sorts of fish bones next to Mosasaur remains from Morocco. So yeah, pretty typical. But it's a nice piece.

Thanks for the help and I’m glad it’s a nice piece I haven’t seen one like it before