Howdy From Round Rock Texas

Megalodon1

Hi Everybody,

I have been looking for a forum such a this for a long time, finally I found a place where many others share my same passion. I have been collecting shark teeth for a little over five years now. My collection consists of Eight six inchers, lost count of the five inchers etc. Maybe I'll post up some pics up here in the future for y'all to view . I would say my collection comes close to 300 teeth, not counting anything under an inch. I have bought all of my teeth, unfortunately have not found any myself yet. I just moved to Texas this March, but I lived in California the remainder of my life. I wish I had the opportunity to visit Sharktooth hill before Bob Ernst (owner of sharktooth hill) sadly passed away. Anyways, I heard that there are fossils in Texas, would be great to finally find my own shark teeth.

Best Regards,

George

(Megalodon1)

Guest solius symbiosus

Welcome George, though I am not much on verts, there are many here who share your passion. I look forward to your pics.

Welcome George! I'm new here myself, but just wanted to say welcome to the forum!

~Kyle

Welcome to the forum, George. Eight six inchers, wow! That's pretty impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of this collection.

George

Greetings from San Antonio. I wish we had Megs at the coast like the Florida Boys but sadly this is not the case. We have good numbers of shark teeth in TX, mostly Cretaceous teeth that outcrop in the Balcones fault zone which runs roughly along the I-35 corridor. A big tooth here is anything over an inch.

While many formations give up scattered teeth, the biggest concentrations are at the Arcadia Park(Eagle Ford)/Atco (Austin) contact and in the Kamp Ranch limestone, both best represented in the DFW area in creeks, quarries (Ash Grove), and construction sites. Both are roughly 90 MYA. Famous shark tooth sites in that area include the Trinity River downstream of Inwood Rd in Dallas and Post Oak Creek west of 75 in Sherman. Typical Eagle Ford genera include Ptychodus, Cretodus, Cretoxyrhina, Squalicorax, Carcharias and others. Other Lower K formations in the same area give up cool teeth like Cretolamna, Paraisurus, Leptostyrax, Protolamna, etc. Typical Maastrichtian and Campanian teeth include Scapanorhynchus, Squalicorax, Serratolamna, Ginglymostoma, Odontaspis, and others. Many of these can be found in the North and South Sulphur Rivers NE of Dallas.

If Cretaceous teeth are of interest to you I have 2 suggestions. Buy Fossil Sharks and Rays of Texas by Welton and Farish online, and join one of the clubs that does trips to the shark tooth quarries. The Paleo Society of Austin and Dallas Paleo Society come to mind first.

There are shark tooth options in TX outside of the Cretaceous. Certain Eocene formations give up their share of teeth. The most famous as JKFoam on this site will tell you is the Hwy 21 bridge over the Brazos between Bryan and Caldwell. Teeth there can be mined out of the bluff in lenses. One time I bulk sampled about 100 LBS from this site and got maybe 50 good teeth including Carcharias and Galeocerdo along with lots of smaller ones. Fish otoliths and vertebrae can be had as well.

Pennsylvanian exposures far west of Waco and Fort Worth give up obscure and sometimes large teeth including Petalodus, Orodus, Symmorium, Peripristis, and several others. Texas is a big state with lots of fossils to offer, but without first hand knowledge the act of collecting them can be a little rough at first. I joined some clubs and went on their trips to get my feet wet, get into difficult access sites (quarries, private land), and meet like minded individuals.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Welcome aboard. :)

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I'm sure we're gonna have a blast on this forum. :shark:

Thanks a million a for all of your clear & concise information!

George

Greetings from San Antonio. I wish we had Megs at the coast like the Florida Boys but sadly this is not the case. We have good numbers of shark teeth in TX, mostly Cretaceous teeth that outcrop in the Balcones fault zone which runs roughly along the I-35 corridor. A big tooth here is anything over an inch.

While many formations give up scattered teeth, the biggest concentrations are at the Arcadia Park(Eagle Ford)/Atco (Austin) contact and in the Kamp Ranch limestone, both best represented in the DFW area in creeks, quarries (Ash Grove), and construction sites. Both are roughly 90 MYA. Famous shark tooth sites in that area include the Trinity River downstream of Inwood Rd in Dallas and Post Oak Creek west of 75 in Sherman. Typical Eagle Ford genera include Ptychodus, Cretodus, Cretoxyrhina, Squalicorax, Carcharias and others. Other Lower K formations in the same area give up cool teeth like Cretolamna, Paraisurus, Leptostyrax, Protolamna, etc. Typical Maastrichtian and Campanian teeth include Scapanorhynchus, Squalicorax, Serratolamna, Ginglymostoma, Odontaspis, and others. Many of these can be found in the North and South Sulphur Rivers NE of Dallas.

If Cretaceous teeth are of interest to you I have 2 suggestions. Buy Fossil Sharks and Rays of Texas by Welton and Farish online, and join one of the clubs that does trips to the shark tooth quarries. The Paleo Society of Austin and Dallas Paleo Society come to mind first.

There are shark tooth options in TX outside of the Cretaceous. Certain Eocene formations give up their share of teeth. The most famous as JKFoam on this site will tell you is the Hwy 21 bridge over the Brazos between Bryan and Caldwell. Teeth there can be mined out of the bluff in lenses. One time I bulk sampled about 100 LBS from this site and got maybe 50 good teeth including Carcharias and Galeocerdo along with lots of smaller ones. Fish otoliths and vertebrae can be had as well.

Pennsylvanian exposures far west of Waco and Fort Worth give up obscure and sometimes large teeth including Petalodus, Orodus, Symmorium, Peripristis, and several others. Texas is a big state with lots of fossils to offer, but without first hand knowledge the act of collecting them can be a little rough at first. I joined some clubs and went on their trips to get my feet wet, get into difficult access sites (quarries, private land), and meet like minded individuals.