Angelwings In Stone

tracer

ok, pholadidae, piddocks, whatever...bivalve molluscs. i posted one of these a long time ago, but thought i'd revisit the concept with several more examples.

they bore into the substrate, and occasionally get petrified there. here are two preserved specimens, a couple of infilled burrows, and the upper right is a filled burrow in which you can see a little "window" of infill is missing and the piddock is still inside the burrow. this stuff is from the upper texas coast, where everything is pleistocene or holocene.

post-488-12621397653379_thumb.jpg

I've seen hundreds of recent examples, but never a fossil angelwing shell, or burrow. Cool.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I've got a bunch of those burrows. Never seen them with the shell inside (I'll have to go look at mine). As John said, cool!

the fossils seem to be quite uncommon. as you know, the shells are very thin and fragile, so my guess is that they rarely survive to become fossils. in spite of a lot of searching, these are the only three i've found.

Clam, burrow, clam-in-burrow: you have the hat trick that tells the story! I am particularly fond of fossil groupings which story is greater than the sum of its parts :wub:

I display to the general public here in my shop, and the cool story thus told sticks with them better than an encounter with a cool rock.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!