Where To Take Kids To Collect In Florida?

RCFossils

Wishing everyone a very happy New Year!

I'm planning a trip to Florida in early June and was wondering if anyone could suggest a few productive sites where I can take my small kids to collect some fossils.

We are planning on staying in Orlando for a week and then heading South towards Sarasota. Both my kids are beginner swimmers so anything that is deep or has a strong current is pretty much out of the question. I have done a little collecting on the Santa Fe and really enjoyed it. My kids would really like to find some shark teeth.

Does anyone have any suggestions on "kid friendly areas" where we would have a good chance at finding some nice material? Would any forum members like to meet up for a family trip in early June?

I am not sure how close you will be to Venice Beach but that is a great spot for kids to find sharks teeth. You don't have to go into the water to find them either. My parents took me there when I was a kid and I really loved it and always remembered it. I think that the surrounding beaches have sharks teeth too. :)

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

I'd go with Bob's suggestion, except migrate one beach south to Caspersen Beach. Nice and quiet if you go to the south end. Venice beach has experienced more beach replenishment in recent years and has many less teeth to be found. Caspersen is about 30 minutes from Sarasota.

The peace river isn't far from Sarasota (why I've been enjoying it so much!), Brownville Park on the Peace River is fairly kid-friendly as is the Gardner, FL boat ramp to the peace river. Although, from what I hear, the river rides high in the summer, so it might not be as good when you'll be here.

http://www.fossiling.com/peace.html

Good luck!

(oh, and some of the guys up towards Gainesville can tell you what its like up there)

Edited by TourmalineGuy