New Pet Wood

Guest Smilodon

Guest Smilodon

I recently bought this beautiful slice of Sycamore from the miocene of California to resell, but I think I'm just going to have to keep it and sell something else. Just look at those medullary rays coming out from the heart. Only oak and sycamore have them.

post-2027-12624637004238_thumb.jpg

post-2027-12624637157027_thumb.jpg

Fossilicious!!!

Real nice piece :wub:

Sycamore grain is so gnarly; many a splitting wedge lies rusting in the woods, abandoned by firewood cutters who foolishly tried to split a length of Sycamore.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow, beautiful piece Don. The detail is amazing. How big is it? Could you place it on Phils thigh please. :D

Edited by flyguy784

Im not much for fossil wood, but that really is a very nice piece of fossil wood!!! Reminds me that I have some fossil oak somewhere? I dought I will ever get around to polishing it?

RB

Guest Smilodon

Wow, beautiful piece Don. The detail is amazing. How big is it? Could you place it on Phils thigh please. :D

I just measured it - it's 9x5 inches AND I'm not going anywhere near Phil's thigh. :P

Guest Smilodon

Im not much for fossil wood, but that really is a very nice piece of fossil wood!!! Reminds me that I have some fossil oak somewhere? I dought I will ever get around to polishing it?

RB

Ron,

Never say never. It could come out looking like this oak:

post-2027-12625386702018_thumb.jpg

Ron,

<Clean up on aisle three!>

Give a little warning before you post pics like that, would ya'?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ron,

Great specimens! :wub: Often we we heard Miocene we think of the big meg and don't always think plant specimens.

Petrified wood is not no.1 on my list but I still would like to get a nice piece of blue forest wood for my collection :wub: What mineral in the wood makes it true that color???

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest Smilodon

Great specimens! :wub: Often we we heard Miocene we think of the big meg and don't always think plant specimens.

Petrified wood is not no.1 on my list but I still would like to get a nice piece of blue forest wood for my collection :wub: What mineral in the wood makes it true that color???

Russ, you are talking to the right person. I've got perhaps one of the best pieces of Blue Forest wood I have on my website right now, but I have great bigger and smaller ones for sale too. This one has it all - wood, chalcedony, great grain preservation, 2 colors of blue, coffee color, yellow calcite crystals, fossil algae surrounding it, and it's a nice size. Blue Forest wood is the same age as Green River material (Eocene), most of the wood is Peppertree (Schinoxylon) and the blue comes from tin.

The Miocene of the Pacific Northwest is dominated by one (or more) massive volcanic eruptions - which is pretty much required to preserve and then mineralize wood. (The volcanic ash part, not the lava)

Edited by Smilodon

Guest Smilodon

That's very nice, Don. :) Just out of curiosity, what does something like that go for?

Mike, I got a very good price on that piece of Sycamore, factors contributing to price include the fact that it was broken but very professionally restored and repolished, so that would decrease the price a bit, but it's also from a very unusual location, so that would have bumped the price up. Those two factors sort of equalize each other out, so I would have asked $90, but dang, it was just too nice to sell (until I get a bigger and better one at the right price ;) .) The oak, however is a totally different story. I pretty much ponied up for that - I've waited perhaps a decade for a bargain to come available, but for other reasons, that never happened. I paid in the neighborhood of $150 and there's no doubt about that one being a keeper.

I'm sure that's way more info than you wanted, but I give you some insight into how stuff like that gets priced.

Edited by Smilodon

Russ, you are talking to the right person. I've got perhaps one of the best pieces of Blue Forest wood I have on my website right now, but I have great bigger and smaller ones for sale too. This one has it all - wood, chalcedony, great grain preservation, 2 colors of blue, coffee color, yellow calcite crystals, fossil algae surrounding it, and it's a nice size. Blue Forest wood is the same age as Green River material (Eocene), most of the wood is Peppertree (Schinoxylon) and the blue comes from tin.

The Miocene of the Pacific Northwest is dominated by one (or more) massive volcanic eruptions - which is pretty much required to preserve and then mineralize wood. (The volcanic ash part, not the lava)

That is a nice one Don :wub: and thanks for all the info :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I'm sure that's way more info than you wanted, but I give you some insight into how stuff like that gets priced.

That's good info. Thanks.