Gale Warning, Temps In The 20S, And Flurries... Nope... Didn't Stop Me...

hokiehunter

Probably not my brightest moment but figured I wouldn't be able to get out for a while and the full moon tide was still in effect so I bundled up and went for it. Thank God for hand warmers and wind proof apparel. I literally had ice growing on me from the sea spray hitting my pants but I was remarkably comfortable. Anyways on to the hunt... Hit my favorite walking beach and was rewarded with what I think are my first ever Crocodile teeth (can someone confirm?). Not much else going on but the huge 2 inch Croc tooth made the trip worth it.

post-2363-12624684631884_thumb.jpg

post-2363-12624685669232_thumb.jpg

post-2363-12624685847936_thumb.jpg

You were out there today?!

Change your screen name to "Iron Man" :o

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Stay Puff Marshmallow Man is more like it. I had about 6 layers on. Wind was only blowing NW 15-20 early and it was ok up until around 10:30 because the cliffs blocked the worst of it. Then it switched to almost dead N at 30 to 40 and it kind of stunk at that point but I was already walking South then so it was at my back.

Edited by hokiehunter

Nice finds...you wouldn't find me out there.

But that big tooth looks suspiciously Mosasaur to me. Can you photoshop that so it's lighter and shows more detail?

post-1313-12624721026125_thumb.jpg

Mosasaur teeth N. Carolina

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.

Nice finds...you wouldn't find me out there.

But that big tooth looks suspiciously Mosasaur to me. Can you photoshop that so it's lighter and shows more detail?

post-1313-12624721026125_thumb.jpg

Mosasaur teeth N. Carolina

No Cretaceous where this came from, Frank. He's hunting in the Miocene Chesapeake Embayment deposits.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Yeah... My first thought was Mosasaur but then I realized where I was. It's a pretty darn big Croc tooth though from what limited knowledge I've been able to glean.

A quick question for those in the know... does the same rule of thumb for sharks "every inch of tooth roughly equates to 10 feet of shark" apply to crocodiles as well? i.e. did my 2 inch tooth come from a roughly 20 foot crocodile? I know it's pretty impossible to say for sure but it would be fun to have a rough idea. Thanks.

I'm not sure the "rule of thumb" even works on sharks; Sounds to me like a gross oversimplification at least, or an urban myth at worst.

• 2 weeks later...