Delicate Preservation

fossilsofnj

Not from a recent trip, but something just a little different.

Ammonites are not overly plentiful where I do most of my collecting (Monmouth County, NJ),

and the few that I have run across are so fragile that any attempt to extract them usually

results in hundreds of individual fragments. In this case Mother Nature had done most of the work,

but the critter still broke into several large pieces as we tried to easy it out of its resting

place. A very small delicate fragment dropped to the ground during this process, without giving

it much thought I simply placed it in one of the containers I keep in my backpack. After getting

everything home I examine the fragment in more detail and was rather enthralled that something

this delicate had managed to survive some 70 million years of entombment plus a drop to the ground

and the trip home.

BTW – species Sphenodiscus lobatus

post-2419-12624793095672_thumb.jpg

post-2419-12624793477875_thumb.jpg

post-2419-12624793565686_thumb.jpg

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling. - Mark Twain

Isn't that grand!

High art indeed.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Love the suture... I've found sections of Ammonites in the creeks before but a whole one you gotta get lucky.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

that thing is beautiful john. looks like a natural fractal. is it from the highlands?

Hello lordpiney,

This specimen is from Monmouth County, NJ

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling. - Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...