The Jewel In My Crown

lordpiney

here's my latest project...a Placenticeras Meeki that i aquired in a trade with my good friend fig rocks (your awesome my friend!!)

here's what it looked like before i started prepping it.

DSCF1380.jpg

DSCF1378.jpg

and here's what it looks like now..

DSCF1970.jpg

DSCF1965.jpg

i still have some more prepping, and then a coat of epoxy. i'll post more pics when im finished it.

here's my latest project...a Placenticeras Meeki that i aquired in a trade with my good friend fig rocks (your awesome my friend!!)

i still have some more prepping, and then a coat of epoxy. i'll post more pics when im finished it.

Nice specimen! Why would you use epoxy on this specimen? Epoxy yellows with age, and you can't easily remove it.

Edited by Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Nice specimen! Why would you use epoxy on this specimen? Epoxy yellows with age, and you can't easily remove it.

well what would you recomend harry? opticon is a little out of my budget at this time, and i dont know of any other equally durable coatings that i could use.

Hi Harry, my experience with this type of ammo which I learned from the pros here in Alberta is you must use a coating like Opticon or Envirotex to protect the delicate layer of ammolite from UV rays which will eventually wreak havoc on the surface.

well what would you recomend harry? opticon is a little out of my budget at this time, and i dont know of any other equally durable coatings that i could use.

Use Envirotex Piney, that's what my friend from Canadian Ammonite uses. :)

holey moley! that's quite a nice piece you got there! sleep with one eye open ;)

-emily

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

Use Envirotex Piney, that's what my friend from Canadian Ammonite uses. :)

ive got a gallon of e-tex already figgy. it's what i use to coat the fishing lures i make, but thank you.

holey moley! that's quite a nice piece you got there! sleep with one eye open ;)

-emily

thank you emmy, but i sleep with both eyes open already. you never know! ;)

DSCF1380.jpg

DSCF1378.jpg

and here's what it looks like now..

DSCF1970.jpg

DSCF1965.jpg

That is gorgeous! Nice job prepping.

-CQ

Hi Harry, my experience with this type of ammo which I learned from the pros here in Alberta is you must use a coating like Opticon or Envirotex to protect the delicate layer of ammolite from UV rays which will eventually wreak havoc on the surface.

You got any more of those fig?

-CQ

Nice Ammo, Phil! Definitely 'aint finding that in the brooks. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

You got any more of those fig?

-CQ

I always do CQ, it's my hobby to collect them. I found 6 last summer. I've traded 4 and have 2 left! :) Can't wait till next season!

Nice Ammo, Phil! Definitely 'aint finding that in the brooks. :)

thanks dave. lol. no i doubt if im gonna be finding any like this one in ramenessin! speaking of which, im going up there tomorrow. wanna meet up? it's supposed to be a balmy 34 degrees.

Lordpiney..... Nice work.... Figgy.... Super specimen, how do you decide to trade them, Id be totally surrounded by them :o ..... we have some secret ammonite worshipers on here after all..... :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

thanks dave. lol. no i doubt if im gonna be finding any like this one in ramenessin! speaking of which, im going up there tomorrow. wanna meet up? it's supposed to be a balmy 34 degrees.

HA! Your a funny guy, Phil. I actually attempted a visit to St. Clair yesterday and found 2" of snow and ice and a ton of wind. Maybe in the spring once it gets into the 60's at least. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Could you go over some of the steps of preping that? It goes from looking like an old rock, to looking fantastic!

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Great before and after pics LP.That is one fine specimen.

I have a small PET wood specimen that came from Fig and she is top notch....

HA! Your a funny guy, Phil. I actually attempted a visit to St. Clair yesterday and found 2" of snow and ice and a ton of wind. Maybe in the spring once it gets into the 60's at least. :)

well dave, you missed a beautiful day on the creek. the gravel bars were all frozen solid, and i dont think it got above 30 all day! at least once my pants froze solid, they were almost like waders. lol.

p.s. the hunting was pretty good concidering the conditions.

That made me want to pack and head down south before F.R.

gets their. You don't know what you are missing

walking for a few miles with a 20lb amo in your back pack.

By the way that is one nice job you did, great looking

Could you go over some of the steps of preping that? It goes from looking like an old rock, to looking fantastic!

thanks ramo. the first thing i did was soak it in water overnite to loosten up the excess clay that was on it. then i removed as much of the clay as i could with a small chisel, and dental pick. then i sanded the whole thing with 500 grit wet paper, moving up to 800 grit on my next time around, and finishing it up with 1200 grit. im still finish sanding a few spots on it. after im done with my prep, im going to put two coats of enviro-tex epoxy on it to seal it up. i'll post pics of it when it's totally done.