Blue Forest Pet Wood

Hawkeye

Somebody mentioned Blue Forest petrified wood in an earlier post so I thought I'd just post a picture of a piece that a friend found when we were in Wyoming. We were supposed to be fish fossil hunting but we got snowed out. Luckily, a really nice guy at a local rock shop gave us a map to find some Blue Forest wood. We got hopelessly lost on the unmarked dirt roads but stumbled into a really nice field of wood. Most had been dug out but there were still a few nice pieces lying around. My friend found this one, polished a couple of sides and gave it to me as a gift.

Sorry I didn't put a size reference but the piece is 5" x 2" x 3"

post-757-12626613567201_thumb.jpg

post-757-12626614637095_thumb.jpg

post-757-1262696058107_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hawkeye

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Yeah, I'm going to have to get out there one day to hunt myself :)The only wood that I have found, I think, has been from the Eastover formation near Calvert, MD. I could be mistaken about this though. This layer has a very rust like quality to it, must be all the iron :D Most of the pieces will still have a conglomerate stuck to the back of it.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Nice chunk of wood. You probably found the right place if you saw diggings everywhere. Lots of stuff still in the ground but you have to have time, luck and a pickaxe to really get the good stuff.

Phoenix: I'd have figured you'd been hunting for the Delaware wood since your not too far away. Not sure exactly where you go to find it but apparently it shows up in the local plowed fields. Is the Calvert Fm. Cretaceous in age? If so it sounds like the stuff that Phil (lordpiney) found up in NJ.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Guest Smilodon

Nice chunk of wood. You probably found the right place if you saw diggings everywhere. Lots of stuff still in the ground but you have to have time, luck and a pickaxe to really get the good stuff.

Phoenix: I'd have figured you'd been hunting for the Delaware wood since your not too far away. Not sure exactly where you go to find it but apparently it shows up in the local plowed fields. Is the Calvert Fm. Cretaceous in age? If so it sounds like the stuff that Phil (lordpiney) found up in NJ.

Shama,

You find the Delaware Cretaceous wood in an area East of Odessa, DE. However, you can only collect if there is new construction (hardly ever) or if you can get a landowner's permission and I only know of one such landowner. DVPS usually does a C&D canal/pet wood field trip once a year.

The "Blue Forest" wood is really cool; most of it is encased in a rind of fossil algae.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's a beautiful piece. Most of what we found had the chalcedony around the outside but not within the wood itself. The wood is a nice brown and shows great grain but then turns black when it is polished.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

That's a really nice piece of wood!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

seems as if this limb is allegedly from the blue forest, as i recall. it's covered with a milky chalcedony coating that for whatever reason i really cherish on fossils.

no, no idea why. some things just look cool to me. i have had several head injuries and some very high fevers in the past, so who knows?

post-488-12627475520923_thumb.jpg

seems as if this limb is allegedly from the blue forest, as i recall. it's covered with a milky chalcedony coating that for whatever reason i really cherish on fossils.

no, no idea why. some things just look cool to me. i have had several head injuries and some very high fevers in the past, so who knows?

That is one of the nicest pieces of pet wood Ive seen. Great Specimen Tracer, thanks for sharing that with us.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Sweet! great detail. The other pieces are nice, too!