Archie

• 2 months later...
On 11/13/2020 at 5:33 PM, Misha said:

Wow! Just saw this topic, 

Those fossils are absolutely incredible, especially the fishes!

:envy:

On 11/13/2020 at 5:40 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

I agree with Misha.

And everybody else.

Gorgeous finds.:b_love1:

Thanks very much guys much appreciated! Sorry for the late reply not been on in far too long :D 

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for the great post, finds and descriptions. I really appreciate your descriptions of how you prepped and the the decisions that you made along the way.

On 1/22/2021 at 6:39 PM, sharkdoctor said:

Thanks for the great post, finds and descriptions. I really appreciate your descriptions of how you prepped and the the decisions that you made along the way.

Thanks @sharkdoctor glad you enjoyed it! :) 

I haven't been around much lately so just came across this now... Great stuff as always, but I do love those jellyfish in particular! Do I see a smaller one sitting on top of (or under) the big one in the first pic?

Lucky split with the jelly centered nicely on that small surface. It could have easily been half off the edge.

Thanks @Wrangellian! Well spotted but unforturtunately its a brachiopod, the strophomenid Brochocarina which is very common in this bed, I think its sitting under the jellyfish impression. Absolutely! I was actually about to cut the block its on down to size, because there is a much smaller jellyfish in the layer below, which was the only one I knew about, but I didnt want to cut through anything nice so carefully split the block again and this just popped out! This is actually also half a big block that my friend gave me to split through after showing him the jellyfish bed, his half of the block had two more smaller but really nice ones and also one of the rarer spotty ones! (although these are suspected to more likely be microbial now I'm told). He was going to trim his block down too, but when I let him know I'd found the big one he kept it whole so we can stick it back together as one big piece with multiple specimens again. I've heard plates with as many as eight specimens have been found at this spot before.

• I found this Informative 1

Ah, that explains why I could only see what looked like half of the small one. The spots themselves are microbial, not the overall thing?

I'd love to see a pic of one of those multi-plates.