Erosionofspecies

Here’s a upper Devonian paleoniscoid fish I found in 18 mile creek - Erie county,NY this spring.  seems to be similar to fish found in younger stratigraphy Linton deposits from Ohio area. Been hard to find any specific info on Devonian fish found in New York, perhaps a rare find? Has anyone found anything similar in western NY? 

912127B3-8D81-4219-BADC-DC5BAF18FB1E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 11

I would call it a rare find. It has the appearance of Paleoniscoid. I see next to it, non Ganoid scales looking like Coelocanth scales with that "fingerprint" pattern. Linton Haplolepis (upper Pennsylvanian) would be younger that Devonian fish.

• I found this Informative 7

Excellent find!

And I agree - quite rare! 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I  also agree that is definitely an extremely rare find for New York State. I would contact the New York State Museum in Albany and see if they can connect you with an expert. 

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, fossilcrazy said:

I would call it a rare find. It has the appearance of Paleoniscoid. I see next to it, non Ganoid scales looking like Coelocanth scales with that "fingerprint" pattern. Linton Haplolepis (upper Pennsylvanian) would be younger that Devonian fish.

Whoops, you’re right! Meant younger! Yeah it’s definitely got some interesting features goin on

Reassessing my previous thoughts on Coelocanth scales. They look like they could be cranial plates to the same Paleoniscoid.

• I found this Informative 4

I would say that it is a Sarcopterygian fish, probably from oteolepidae. Basic Actinopterygians from Devonian are extremely rare and not necessary resemble paleoniscoids. The tail fin is not helping but seems to be hypercecal. 

• I found this Informative 1

This is fantastic! I've never heard of articulated actinopterygians from 18 Mile Creek, and these sort of fish are extremely rare in the Devonian in general. This is actually really scientifically important; have you considered donating this fossil for scientific research?

• I found this Informative 3

28 minutes ago, jdp said:

This is fantastic! I've never heard of articulated actinopterygians from 18 Mile Creek, and these sort of fish are extremely rare in the Devonian in general. This is actually really scientifically important; have you considered donating this fossil for scientific research?

I agree.  this is a once in a lifetime find.  Congrats.  

If you're willing to donate this fossil, I would be happy to get you in touch with a professional who would prioritize getting this described and into the literature.

I want to reiterate that this is a ridiculously important fossil.

• I found this Informative 3

I know we talked about this find on Instagram awhile back but congrats on the rare find! And it's great to see that you'll be able to donate it as well! Definitely an incredibly rare find.

On 11/12/2020 at 5:52 PM, Petalodus12 said:

I know we talked about this find on Instagram awhile back but congrats on the rare find! And it's great to see that you'll be able to donate it as well! Definitely an incredibly rare find.

I’m excited to find out what the deal with it is!

• 2 weeks later...

Glad an ID could be made!

• Enjoyed 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 3 weeks later...