Air Scibe Help

Crinoid Queen

I was serching the classified ads in my local papper, and discovered a used Texas Pneumatic TXAS1(like this one http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Texas-Pneumatic-TXAS1-Air-Scribe/64381/Cat/1253 ) air scibe for a very cheep price. I was wondering if any one knew if this was a good company and if this would work in prepping my crinoids? I know that Chicago Pneumatic's are the best for it but that is not in my budget. Thanks for the help. :)

-CQ

I was serching the classified ads in my local papper, and discovered a used Texas Pneumatic TXAS1(like this one http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Texas-Pneumatic-TXAS1-Air-Scribe/64381/Cat/1253 ) air scibe for a very cheep price. I was wondering if any one knew if this was a good company and if this would work in prepping my crinoids? I know that Chicago Pneumatic's are the best for it but that is not in my budget. Thanks for the help. :)

-CQ

The photo looks just like a Chicago Phewmatic or the ME9100. Probably a clone. The Chicago Pneumatic is not the tool for you. I am familiar with the stuff you are finding and the better tool for you is the ARO or its clones. See the other discussion regarding air scribes. I have cleaned a number of the Crawfordsville crinoids and have never used the CP. It is always the ARO.

The photo looks just like a Chicago Phewmatic or the ME9100. Probably a clone. The Chicago Pneumatic is not the tool for you. I am familiar with the stuff you are finding and the better tool for you is the ARO or its clones. See the other discussion regarding air scribes. I have cleaned a number of the Crawfordsville crinoids and have never used the CP. It is always the ARO.

What is the company name of an ARO clone? The texas one thay are asking about $40 for it. Can you buy them used any where?

What is the company name of an ARO clone? The texas one thay are asking about $40 for it. Can you buy them used any where?

See this discussion. Air scribe discussion

A number of people are trying to contact the company concerning a ARO clone.

crinus

Hey Crinoid Queen,,, That airscribe you are looking at from Texax pneumatic has a flared out housing which you do NOT want! The ARO is a much better tool for your specimens I would think. The ME9100 or the Chicago has a much bigger sylus or tip and can remove much much more rock and they also have a very tapered housing. I would thing that you would want to be a bit slower and more careful which is why I would suggest the ARO, But also, I think to be able to do a super job you may want to think of an air abrasive unit? Those can save all the detail that is so important. I have now idea as to how hard or soft the rock is you are working with, or how hard or soft the specimen is, but with those two tools you can clean up just about any crinoid to perfection!!!

RB

Here is a picture of the two scribes I use,, both with a very tapered front end. I wish I could show you a close up of the Texas one, but cant. I guarantee you that you do not want that one!

post-171-12628193372568_thumb.jpg

Thanks you two. I found the one website that crinus had a link to and I can get the one like the ARO for around $70 :) I have a small sand blaster that i got a harbor frieght that i am gonna try for now untill I can afford a better one. I just have several specamins that are barried in the rock. I just want the aie scribe to help get the majority off. I will probubly still do most of the finishing work by hand untill I can afford a better one. It sucks being a poor college student :) (just kididng).

-CQ