Is It Real? Fossil Crabs and Lobsters

Praefectus

Hello. Does anyone know about the authenticity of the fossil crabs and lobsters below? I've seen them pop up on a few different sites and I'm suspicious because they all look nearly identical. Unfortunately, I don't have any information about age, location, etc. Thanks for your help. 

idontknow.JPG.4ec24ce6ba38ac16f55799033dad0f5a.JPG

hmm.JPG.86cf476eec32cef29f744c1b6f6b4fd1.JPG

isitreal.JPG.7de1674d912112aad2b0714f8c0c400d.JPG

the crabs in the first photo look to just be carved out of pure rock, these are most likely all from indonesia, the crabs in the 2nd photo look more real but could easily be casts the thalassina mud lobsters in the last photo look fine

• I found this Informative 6

12 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Old thread but same crabs

Thanks for the link. The preservation details are a little different on Andy's crabs, but they do look really similar. I thought the crabs were going to turn out to be clear fakes. Perhaps they are real after all. 

I think the crabs are all "art".  The "lobsters" are possibly authentic, as far as I can tell from the photo.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

I think there might be some genuine material in the crabs in the 2nd pic but to me they look to be at least somewhat embellished.

I'd avoid the crabs. The lobsters don't look bad in that photo but close ups would be ideal, quite possible there's some restoration, especially in the claws

• 2 weeks later...

I'd skip all of them. Only the lobster has some potential but you need lots of better photos to make your call

On 28/11/2020 at 6:21 AM, Praefectus said:

Thanks for the link. The preservation details are a little different on Andy's crabs, but they do look really similar. I thought the crabs were going to turn out to be clear fakes. Perhaps they are real after all. 

I'd say the crabs in this thread aren't like my crab. To me, only the second crab has any chance of being real but they still look highly problematic. I'd skip them

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!