Jeffrey P

I'd also like to add that those are great displays representing much of the "tree of life" since the Phanerozoic Eon started.  I've always liked the "a little of everything" approach to fossil collecting.  I've also liked having a bunch of stuff from one formation that I've hunted - the mix of the common and the rare, the large and the small, the perfect and the partial.  I'm mostly a shark tooth collector but I still have some of the specimens (trilobites, crabs, brachiopods, mollusks, plants, etc.) I picked up around the time I started and still pick up a few others outside my main interest.  That interest stems from what I read about in the prehistoric animal books of my childhood.  It was exciting to discover oreodont jaws and baculite sections for sale at Nature Company stores in the late 80's and it was great to find my own shark teeth in Scotts Valley, CA even if they were water-worn.  

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

@siteseer I of course also have my favorite sites in the area close to home. Maybe I shouldn't have written "forced to 'specialize'" (this was actually said jokingly), since I've been visiting these sites for decades and take the building up of these collections quite seriously, keeping up my exchanges with paleontologists on my finds and donating the odd rare ones for research. My particular interest is for the Middle Jurassic fauna. So I have special displays for all of these local sites. I believe Jeffrey also has the same attitude, but as we've both mentioned, our interests are quite far-flung, so we'll check out new things at every opportunity. The overwhelming majority of the fossils in my display cabinets and drawers are self-found and I can't be anything but proud of them.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

@siteseer I of course also have my favorite sites in the area close to home. Maybe I shouldn't have written "forced to 'specialize'" (this was actually said jokingly), since I've been visiting these sites for decades and take the building up of these collections quite seriously, keeping up my exchanges with paleontologists on my finds and donating the odd rare ones for research. My particular interest is for the Middle Jurassic fauna. So I have special displays for all of these local sites. I believe Jeffrey also has the same attitude, but as we've both mentioned, our interests are quite far-flung, so we'll check out new things at every opportunity. The overwhelming majority of the fossils in my display cabinets and drawers are self-found and I can't be anything but proud of them.

I agree with Roger. I spend the vast majority of my collecting time at "local" sites. Actually there is no fossil collecting less than an hour from where I live in the heart of the metamorphic Appalachian Chain. My collection primarily features my local finds: Fossils I found in New Jersey are present on 10 of my 12 shelves and my New York finds are very prominent on the coral/bryozoan, brachiopod, bivalve, trilobite, and gastropod shelves. A big purpose of my collection is to display the vast variety of local fossils that can be obtained. Having said that, I also enjoy travel, exploration, and collecting in new places and that is also reflected in my collection. I have seen Roger's amazing collection in person which features a lot of very impressive specimens that he has found locally. This was definitely an inspiration for me.

On 11/28/2020 at 11:17 PM, FF7_Yuffie said:

Great collection and so well displayed. 

What is the row of prints at the top left? That looks great-- really well defined.

This question was already answered, but I feel it's worth mentioning that that was the only fossil in the display I purchased.  They are excellent. Thanks for your interest.

• I found this Informative 2

On 11/28/2020 at 4:11 PM, Ludwigia said:

Looks great @Jeffrey P! You have quite a variety there. You're like me. I'm forced to "specalize" on the local sites, but I'll take any chance I can get to broaden my horizon :D

A couple of spelling corrections for you on a couple of German Ammos: The Ancolioceras opalinoides is from the Murchisonae zone, and the Pleydellia and Cottswoldia from the Jurensismergel Formation.

Thanks Roger for correcting my typos. Very much appreciated and already corrected. I am detail oriented when it comes to this stuff. Also thanks for your help acquiring these specimens- showing me four localities to collect in, and taking my friends and I to one I had requested which turned out be a wonderful day. I shouldn't forget to mention the prep job you did on my specimens while we there. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Glad you appreciate the display.  

30 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Thanks Roger for correcting my typos. Very much appreciated and already corrected. I am detail oriented when it comes to this stuff. Also thanks for your help acquiring these specimens- showing me four localities to collect in, and taking my friends and I to one I had requested which turned out be a wonderful day. I shouldn't forget to mention the prep job you did on my specimens while we there. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Glad you appreciate the display.  

You're more than welcome. It was a pleasure to host you and Ralph and Aza.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Wow I’m slacking on my collection :default_faint:........amazing Jeff!! I’m dying for more display space. Those curios really do the trick! This must have taken lots of time, care and patience. Very impressive :) 

On 11/28/2020 at 2:19 PM, Kane said:

What a fantastic and professional display, Jeffrey! By contrast, mine is a cluttered piece of trash! I am immensely impressed by this, and the thousands of hours it took to fill these cases with all your hard efforts! This is simply WOW. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Thank you Kane for your appreciation. I would love to see your trash someday. By the way, I'd also love to find some rostroconchia someday to add to my collection. Know anywhere I can find some?

On 11/28/2020 at 2:42 PM, Malcolmt said:

Makes me realize how badly I mistreat my fossils. I am a bad fossil parent

Beware. I've already reported you to Social Services. 

On 11/28/2020 at 2:35 PM, Misha said:

Wow!

Great display, beautiful fossils

Thank you for your appreciation. 

On 11/28/2020 at 2:41 PM, jeannie55 said:

I am very impressed. 

Thank you for your appreciation. 

5 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Thank you Kane for your appreciation. I would love to see your trash someday. By the way, I'd also love to find some rostroconchia someday to add to my collection. Know anywhere I can find some?

Once the pandemic is behind us, I know a place I can bring you to. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

On 11/28/2020 at 3:06 PM, Nautiloid said:

Wow!!! Amazing collection. I’m blown away by the organization as well as all of the amazing specimens!:default_clap2:

Thank you for your appreciation. This represents over eight years of collecting, IDing, etc., etc.

On 11/28/2020 at 4:00 PM, historianmichael said:

Such a cool collection! You have been some amazing places and collected some incredible fossils. Your display cases are what I dream of having one day for my own collection. 

Thank you for your appreciation. Everything starts with a dream. 

On 11/28/2020 at 4:48 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Lovely fossils, beautifully displayed.:b_love1:

Thank you for sharing these with us. 

So many great specimens. 

Thanks Adam for your appreciation. Thank you for sharing your collection as well. 

On 11/28/2020 at 6:11 PM, FossilNerd said:

:default_faint:

Wow Jeff! Great display cases and specimens!

Your labels are awesome and make me painfully aware that I need to work on mine.

Good job!  :default_clap2:

Thanks for the appreciation Wayne. Specimens I found that day with you ended up on the echinoderm and brachiopod shelves in case you recognized a few. Great memories!

On 11/28/2020 at 6:50 PM, fossilcrazy said:

You did a fine job with your displays. Knowing what is involved to have a home large enough for display cases, paying for the cases, all the time in the field finding the specimens, preparing the fossils and even researching the most current names of the fossils to make labels, is a labor of love. Indulge yourself with some "atta boy", "well done" pats on the back. 

Thanks for the appreciation John. You've certainly paid your dues as well. Your plant, fish, and eurypterid collection was a special inspiration for me. The Plumalina I have displayed you may recall was one of the ones you gave me. You may also see the Linton, Ohio vertebrate fossils you gifted me. Thanks again for a great day and wonderful company.  

On 11/28/2020 at 6:52 PM, Darktooth said:

Wow Jeff, absolutely amazing! I would call that a definite, labor of love!

Thanks Dave. I'm sure you and other TFF members were there when I found some of my DSR specimens.  I still have your equipment by the way. Keep on digging?

On 11/28/2020 at 7:12 PM, Pagurus said:

Gasp! You've got a jaw-dropping display, Jeff.  Does your museum have a gift shop too?  

Thanks Mike. Actually I do have a big box of give away fossils. When the pandemic has subsided you may want to check that out.

On 11/28/2020 at 8:36 PM, PFOOLEY said:

Heckuva collection you've got there Jeffrey...I'm impressed with your museum quality display...good work!

Thanks Mike. You may recognize some Puerco Valley fossils (especially on the cephalopod shelf) I collected with you. Thanks again those wonderful experiences. 

1 hour ago, Jeffrey P said:

Thanks Dave. I'm sure you and other TFF members were there when I found some of my DSR specimens.  I still have your equipment by the way. Keep on digging?

Well Jeff, i am still hoping to meet back up with you sometime. Hopefully this year will be better then last.:fingerscrossed:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

4 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Thanks for the appreciation Wayne. Specimens I found that day with you ended up on the echinoderm and brachiopod shelves in case you recognized a few. Great memories!

I did recognize them. Good times! :) 

I also recognized a few other specimens from around my area. Like the Acrocyanthus corals, and of course various brachiopods. That Halysites from the Louisville area is also a real beauty! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)