I Like Poop- Mazon Creek Coprolites- A Visual Post

Nimravis

55 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

I do live in a coal mining area, both strip mining and shaft mining. A lot of the concreations I’ve found have come from the mining sites or creek beds that ran near or even from the mines. I may try to open one or two. As an aside, the men in my family from grandfather to uncles and great uncles worked the mines. One of my aunts has land that still has the “rock dumps” or piles of shale from when they dug the mines. Most of the mines and strip pits along with the shale piles were rehabilitated by the mine owners a few years back. Whenever the HWY department begins cutting through mountains or hills in our area to build new highways, the cut reveals layers of coal and shale. I try to hunt before they over it up with what is a stabilizer to prevent rock slides.  I’m old enough to remember the mines and pits and have found a few fossils inspite of the rehabilitation. Thanks for answering my questions. That’s why I love this forum   

• I found this Informative 1

5 minutes ago, jeannie55 said:

I do live in a coal mining area, both strip mining and shaft mining. A lot of the concreations I’ve found have come from the mining sites or creek beds that ran near or even from the mines. I may try to open one or two. As an aside, the men in my family from grandfather to uncles and great uncles worked the mines. One of my aunts has land that still has the “rock dumps” or piles of shale from when they dug the mines. Most of the mines and strip pits along with the shale piles were rehabilitated by the mine owners a few years back. Whenever the HWY department begins cutting through mountains or hills in our area to build new highways, the cut reveals layers of coal and shale. I try to hunt before they over it up with what is a stabilizer to prevent rock slides.  I’m old enough to remember the mines and pits and have found a few fossils inspite of the rehabilitation. Thanks for answering my questions. That’s why I love this forum   

Sounds like you live in a great place for fossils, our areas now are over grown and it is hard to find concretions, but people still hunt for them and on occasion some great fossils are found. good luck with your hunting.

Those are some very shapely expulsions! Thanks for tagging me. I've been doing the same (taking a fresh look at old fossils). I think your 1997 Pit 4 coprolite is a spiral as well.

HappyPoo2.gif.0f7c8ae3c27eb39456dc165f90064aad.gif

On 12/13/2020 at 12:29 PM, Nimravis said:

Spiral coprolites are usually agreed to have come from sharks, besides  that, it would be anyone’s guess as to the animal(s) that made them.

Could also be from rays, skates, lungfish and a few other fishies. I don't recall seeing many teeth in your concretions. But then again, I mostly look at your poop and things that may be recognizable in it. :P  Do you find many teeth?

Nice ones Ralph!  I like the spiral shark poops.  I have a couple that have what looks like chitin in them.

Cheers,

Rich

• I found this Informative 3

On 12/13/2020 at 1:38 AM, Nimravis said:

I’m not seeing Palaeoxyris with this piece. I can see how you think that from the shape, by I just think it is the way the concretion split. Others may have another opinion.

Looking at this again, Is it just wishful thinking that there is a little evidence of cross-hatching in the leftmost end of the lower image? I know it is pretty poor compared to other examples, but I hate to pitch it when it "might" be my only chance at a Palaeoxyris specimen....

13 minutes ago, Caverat said:

Looking at this again, Is it just wishful thinking that there is a little evidence of cross-hatching in the leftmost end of the lower image? I know it is pretty poor compared to other examples, but I hate to pitch it when it "might" be my only chance at a Palaeoxyris specimen....

If you think it is something, don’t pitch it, I hold on to certain pieces that I cannot ID. Here is one of mine that I just posted on another thread of mine.8A24553C-E4DA-42FD-BBE2-6BE3EEE69167.thumb.jpeg.5b7416205917d5f4497d84623edb3648.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

This is Poop from the Derbyshire coal measures UK :)

SAM_2049.thumb.JPG.ef2b25da15d732bdb5c1b0fd3e36a9d9.JPG

SAM_2051.thumb.JPG.4b01623511b45fd74247bc15d8d4cb7e.JPG

SAM_2053.thumb.JPG.4e3d34a7c271a5d26cbde9b0826d151b.JPG

John

• I found this Informative 6

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

15 hours ago, t-tree said:

This is Poop from the Derbyshire coal measures UK :)

SAM_2049.thumb.JPG.ef2b25da15d732bdb5c1b0fd3e36a9d9.JPG

SAM_2051.thumb.JPG.4b01623511b45fd74247bc15d8d4cb7e.JPG

SAM_2053.thumb.JPG.4e3d34a7c271a5d26cbde9b0826d151b.JPG

John

That is a great piece John, Lori @GeschWhatwould love this one.

• 2 weeks later...