Egg from Jiangxi

Crazyhen

This is an egg from Jiangxi.  It looks genuine to me, what do you think?  And how about the shell coverage and condition of the egg?

egg1.jpeg

egg2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I'm also not expert but i agree with Roger.

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

The eggshell texture flows well and there are no obvious manipulations. I say it's a good egg

• I found this Informative 2

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

3 hours ago, steelhead9 said:

Unless there is significant camera distortion, it looks awfully short for it's width. The bottom section may be composited. Great shell coverage if it is real, though.

I've seen genuine theropods eggs with this proportion. One possible reason is that it's simply a different species. Another possible reason is that it was distorted from pressure

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to go against the rest of the crowd, and not sure whether it's even worth it considering this does, in many ways look like a good egg, but: the texture of the egg shell has worn of in a significant amount of places, making it difficult to tell whether the texture properly continues from one eggshell fragment to the next. It does seem to do so in a number of places, but in plenty of others this, to me, seems difficult to establish. It might simply be that enough large pieces of shell were available to (re)construct an egg that'd give off the impression of being alright, without having a need to match patterns in the shell texture - though, admittedly, this doesn't seem very likely.

Much like @steelhead9 I'm somewhat surprised about the more plump, rather than elongate, model of the egg. But as I don't really dabble in eggs, I'll go on @-Andy-'s experience and assume there's some warping involved here. In fact, there seems to be some other evidence of warping here to, such as a depression on the verso.

All in all, I'd say likely authentic egg without too much modification, but certainly not one in the best condition I've seen either...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett