Weird Wood, Etc.

tracer

post-488-12632668095551_thumb.jpg

a guy i once knew, who's not around no more, was fond of sayin', "i don't want to see that happen, but if it happens, i want to see it."

posted this picture thinkin' about that philophosy.

that big piece of wood was weird, with the wave tops and troughs on it. was rough seas under that ground or sompin.

left all that stuff for somebody else to find, maybe. it was quite a ways from anywhere.

Neat!

That's the kind of paleo-sculpture that inspires lots of questions, like "what do you do when you find something too cool to leave but too big and heavy to conveniently pack out?"

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It has a good chunk of conglomerate nearby. Was that material anywhere on the back of the wood? With the wood here near the Chesapeake Bay we have it on the back of some of the wood.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Plus a bottle neck and a quarter Everybody's finding better stuff then me. I do like that piece of wood. Thanks

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Neat!

That's the kind of paleo-sculpture that inspires lots of questions, like "what do you do when you find something too cool to leave but too big and heavy to conveniently pack out?"

I add it to my "field collection" which is spread all over the state. :P

Nice piece of wood t.

I hope you kept the Quarter! :D

Nice wood, I'd have kept it just for the shape.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Nice wood, I'd have kept it just for the shape.

there's just too much petrified wood in some of the places we visit. way too much. for a while, i was collecting it, and i still absolutely love the stuff. we've found some very, very interesting pieces. but it was just sort of taking over, so i shut down on picking it up. i feel like it's probably prevented us from finding some other cool things, since there are so many small pieces of pet wood that serve as distractors and busy-up the areas we're searching.

it kind of boggles my mind to think of the collective mass of the pet wood that must be contained in the yegua and fleming formations of texas.

I always invite one young football player from the local highschool to hunt with me. Then, I just say, "there's no way you can cary that to the truck". Next thing I know, I gotta a sweaty football player and it's in my truck bed.

I always invite one young football player from the local highschool to hunt with me. Then, I just say, "there's no way you can cary that to the truck". Next thing I know, I gotta a sweaty football player and it's in my truck bed.

Most creative... lol

Welcome to the forum!

Most creative... lol

So he's your 'over the shoulder' boulder holder? :P

Be true to the reality you create.