Post your best shark teeth finds of 2020

Bails

On 12/30/2020 at 3:36 PM, thair said:

The two best ones I had this year. Peripristis semicircularis & Petlodus , Central Texas, Penn

Fossil 4-22-20 IMG-1995.jpg

Fossil 12-22-20l.jpg

Fossil 12-22-20m.jpg

Nice finds. I love the look of the Petalodonts! I’m curious if you or anyone else has a good illustration of how these teeth were arranged/looked in the shark’s mouth. That’s something I’ve been looking for but haven’t yet found. I’ve seen diagrams identifying the root, cutting blade, etc. but still can’t seem to visualize it for myself.

I'll cheat here (closest thing to shark teeth I've got here) and throw in couple holocephali teeth. First is a nice Deltodus I prepped earlier in the year.

20210101_101442.jpg

Second is another holocephali toothplate. It's nice, complete, and huge measuring in at 1.2 inches in length. I don't know the ID on this one and wouldn't want to geuss.

20210101_100614.jpg

Close up 

20210101_100632.jpg

Collected in Henry County, Missouri.

• I found this Informative 5

On 12/30/2020 at 12:00 AM, JBMugu said:

Bakersfield Meg

PXL_20201120_003136888.jpg

Sweet tooth. Love matrix pieces and the color on that is stunning.

2 minutes ago, Reebs said:

One of my fave megs of 2020 - I call her the rocket...

170384FF-3917-4F3E-BF49-8F2A29C9A09F.jpeg

676C131C-447E-4BE0-88FF-8AD1A06F923C.jpeg

D6C0BF4E-21BF-475E-B321-6AC29C843362.jpeg

Great finds!  Such nice teeth!

@hokietech96 thank you!! I am very fortunate to live in an area with access to fabulous fossils.  I spent more time than ever in 2020 kicking around mud and it certainly payed off. 

19 minutes ago, Reebs said:

A few more 2020 teeth with nice colors for my area... 

Wow you had an amazing year!

40 minutes ago, Reebs said:

A few more 2020 teeth with nice colors for my area... 

8410B936-EBDC-430F-9F56-381D348C989D.jpeg

Awesome finds! How big is that Hemi?

44 minutes ago, bthemoose said:

Awesome finds! How big is that Hemi?

Thank you!! I’m not quite sure but it’s not 2” lol. I’m still working to cross a 2 inch Hemipristis off my bucket list. I’ll give ya a measurement when I get home. Cheers. 

• I found this Informative 1

23 hours ago, Reebs said:

Thank you!! I’m not quite sure but it’s not 2” lol. I’m still working to cross a 2 inch Hemipristis off my bucket list. I’ll give ya a measurement when I get home. Cheers. 

Too bad, I thought it might be! :P Still looks like a nice one.

3 hours ago, Bails said:

Some incredible teeth in this thread!!! Thanks for sharing everyone!

Agreed! Drooling over all these finds - thanks everyone for sharing! 

• 3 weeks later...

Great colors too! Colorado is about as far away as you get from an ocean in the US (At least in the holocene) so I need to see all these amazing shark teeth. Wonderful sizes, colors, shapes, and species from all of these

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

On 1/1/2021 at 3:29 PM, bthemoose said:

Nice finds. I love the look of the Petalodonts! I’m curious if you or anyone else has a good illustration of how these teeth were arranged/looked in the shark’s mouth. That’s something I’ve been looking for but haven’t yet found. I’ve seen diagrams identifying the root, cutting blade, etc. but still can’t seem to visualize it for myself.

Agreed these are gorgeous, as are all the teeth posted here :D Heres one for Petalodus ohioensis and also for the Jannasidae taken from the Handbook of Paleoichthyology voume 3B: Elasmobranchii: Teeth (sorry for the terrible quality of the pics!). A lot of sources label Petalodonts as belonging to Holocephali but Holocephalan dentitions are characterized by slow growing tooth plates that werent replaced over time by new teeth, which the Petalodonts did. A friend and I are hoping to get some Petalodus acuminatus teeth from the Lower Carboniferous of Scotland scanned and 3D printed later this year to try and reconstruct a dentition, so will post results as soon as thats done :D 

IMGP7710.JPG

IMGP7709.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Thanks, @Archie! I look forward to seeing your reconstruction. I found what looks like the same image as in your top photo just a few days ago in this article from Lucas et al. The authors of that make an interesting argument for a different dentition where the teeth occlude -- here's their figure from the paper:

6011df2784827_12-LucasetalPetaloduscopy.thumb.jpg.5b8b69f256002490dc64e1aad8f5e3f8.jpg

FIGURE 3. Petalodus dental reconstructions. A, Jaw reconstruction proposed by Hansen (1996). B-D, Revised occlusion advocated here, based on NMMNH P-54584 and P-54585 in B, labial, C, lingual and D, lateral views.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, bthemoose said:

Thanks, @Archie! I look forward to seeing your reconstruction. I found what looks like the same image as in your top photo just a few days ago in this article from Lucas et al. The authors of that make an interesting argument for a different dentition where the teeth occlude -- here's their figure from the paper:

Brilliant article thanks @bthemoose! I'm definitely inclined to agree with this based on wear facets on some Petalodus weve found.

14 hours ago, sharko69 said:

Here is a Pleistocene Texas addition. A rare GW from the Beaumont Formation.

Wow. Is that from Galveston/Bolivar?

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

9 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Great colors too! Colorado is about as far away as you get from an ocean in the US (At least in the holocene) so I need to see all these amazing shark teeth. Wonderful sizes, colors, shapes, and species from all of these

There are sites for Late Cretaceous shark teeth where the Mancos Shale (Hotchkiss area?) and Juana Lopez Member of the Carlile Shale (somewhere around Pueblo) are exposed - probably a couple of other formations too.  I've seen the teeth.