Clarification

Vnaz50

San Antonio, Tx 

I just pulled up this piece, which at first I thought maybe it was a mud crack. Its stinks like sea water, hardened on the outside and sounds like porcelain when you tap it. Then below it, the material is very sensitive. Which makes sense to me. Why would it sound like glass? 

CD4D6C58-A5BA-425E-8D6F-B366A126D24D.jpeg

DFB2F875-4C0E-4FCB-BD23-12C62E2FBF30.jpeg

A530A59F-DF23-4050-B6FF-EEC384E51F8B.jpeg

It could contain a lot of the mineral silica (which glass is also made of), but I don't know that area maybe someone else will be able to say more confidently 

• I found this Informative 2

41 minutes ago, Vnaz50 said:

sounds like porcelain when you tap it.

Music to a quarry collector. The slabs from most quarries make their own  musical notes.

• I found this Informative 3

14 minutes ago, Phevo said:

It could contain a lot of the mineral silica (which glass is also made of), but I don't know that area maybe someone else will be able to say more confidently 

Thank you. It runs the entire width of my backyard, where it begins to slope down. That’s the only area I’ve found it. 

Using this LINK, what formation is exposed at your place?

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

7 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Using this LINK, what formation is exposed at your place?

I'm down the road from the Hills and Dales pitcave. Which was Ked & Kgru if I saw that correctly. 

1-025.jpg

2 hours ago, Vnaz50 said:

I'm down the road from the Hills and Dales pitcave. Which was Ked & Kgru if I saw that correctly. 

Since you're in one of the karstic regions, you probably are seeing the erosional effects of ground water on the Edwards Limestone and upper Glen Rose Formation (Kgru).  

The platy rocks you posted above look like fractured chunks of Kgru.  Keep in mind that rocks with minerals more resistant to erosion and dissolution (like dolomite) will be hard enough to sound similar to porcelain.

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

@Vnaz50, I've noticed that you continue to pull up karst limestone from your backyard and ask the forum if there are fossils in it.  You clearly show a lot of passion for paleontology and have a strong interest in learning more about it and how it relates to what you are finding and learning more about the paleontology of the area.  From my perspective, I've already given you the best and easiest path to the knowledge you seek . . . Join the Paleo Society of Austin. You will be welcomed there and will learn much and learn it quickly.  :SlapHands:

Please consider my advise.  I didn't just grow this old without learning something along the way.  :D

• I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 1