Coral Covered Shell

Mango

Rechecking a pond today after the rains and found this little guy. I have not found a shell that is covered in coral like this before. Might be common, but it is what stood out to me today.

It is kind of dirty. I hit it with a toothbrush, but would like to see it whiter.

post-1351-12633574660807_thumb.jpg

post-1351-12633575120846_thumb.jpg

post-1351-12633575433037_thumb.jpg

Pentax Optio W60

Is it a Barnacle that the coral covered? Neat piece!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Almost looks like a gastropod? Reminds me of those rootbeer agitized Murex type snails covered in barnacles from the monterey cal area.

RB

Is it a Barnacle that the coral covered? Neat piece!

It is not a barnacle. Looks more like a spiraling gastropod. Unfortunately it has an irregular bump, or it would look even neater.

i hear h2o2 is kinda cheap.

And readily available in my accident prone household. I will try it.

Pentax Optio W60

That's pretty cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Look what I found on the beach the other day.

Cole~

post-1066-12633973430977_thumb.jpg

post-1066-12633973524059_thumb.jpg

post-1066-12633973615849_thumb.jpg

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

Look what I found on the beach the other day.

Cole~

Nice.

I wonder how my shell was sitting on the ocean floor to be covered with the coral on all sides.

Pentax Optio W60

This encrusting coral is identified as Family RHIZANGIIDAE, Septastrea marylandica, Mio-Pliocene, extinct with no living relatives. It is fairly common in the Lower Caloosahatchee Beds in South Florida.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Guest Smilodon

Nice.

I wonder how my shell was sitting on the ocean floor to be covered with the coral on all sides.

It is Septastrea, an encrusting coral, and that's kinda what encrusting coral does/do/did. ;)

It's pretty common. Way back, I lived in a condo ON Apollo Beach when it was collectable. Found a good bit of it there.

I would give anything just to walk on a beach

I would give anything to find dino bones in my back yard

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Two good looking finds, interesting

I would give anything just to walk on a beach :coldb:

Yeah, I would dig through the snow, and frozen ground to find dino stuff. Wouldn't mind hitting Banff again, and fishing near Rocky Mountain House. Not right now though. See you in the summer.

It is Septastrea, an encrusting coral, and that's kinda what encrusting coral does/do/did. ;)

I was seeing the difference in my shell to Cole's. One side of his shell does not have coral on it. This makes me think that it was resting on that face on the bottom, and the coral wrapped the exposed surface. My shell is completely covered. No sign of how it rested on the seabed. Inside the shell opening is clear. Maybe it was stuck onto something by its opening. Maybe the coral covered all but one side, then the shell got turned, and it completed the coverage. I try to invent scenarios to make the finds more interesting to myself, and for my friends that don't think old dead things are cool.

Pentax Optio W60

This encrusting coral is identified as Family RHIZANGIIDAE, Septastrea marylandica, Mio-Pliocene, extinct with no living relatives. It is fairly common in the Lower Caloosahatchee Beds in South Florida.

Great information kind sir. I had no idea it was so old.

Cole~

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

• 3 years later...

I'm sorry that this comes so late. From the size and shape, it appears that the encrusted shell is from the genus, Solenosteira. The shell was used by a hermit crab, which kept the opening clear and kept the shell from being buried in the sand. This allowed the coral to grow over the entire shell.