Leesaa

I thought this looked like a coprolite or possible ammonite concretion on top of a clump of fossilized unknown. What do you think? Found within an hour of Albuquerque along the Rio Puerco or cliffs* over the Rio Grande.  Either Rio Rancho or Los Lunas.

* By cliffs, I mean sandy hills full of rocks. On their way to being washed into the river. 

*****I was told the photos did not show. I have tried to edit to add them. Weird glitch in this program since I see them all when I log on, even if I get off the site then back on. Thank you for letting me know they were invisible to others*******

PXL_20201213_011841029 (1).jpg

Hi,

Your pics don't work ! They aren't displayed.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

It looks like you might have been trying to link to photos stored somewhere else. These links often break (as your links did right from the start) which makes referring back to these posts at a later date a problem when the images are no longer available. Please upload the images directly to the forum when posting so they will be saved along with your post.

Cheers.

-Ken

I copied the image and pasted and they appear on my end even if I get freshly onto the site......................frustrating. I will try attaching as a downloaded file.

It is the one on the right.

PXL_20201213_011918860 (1).jpg

Looking much better now. Copy and pasting may make them work on your computer (possibly it's linking to the images on your hard drive). Attaching the photos is the best method of making sure we all can see them. :)

Interesting rock--does have a kind of coprolitic look to it and some texture within. @GeschWhat

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

I can't really say for sure what the larger lump might be, but I do see that the underside has a great deal of what appears to be crinoidal material. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I hope no one is offended if I cut into my finds to explore them more. Here are more views. I debated leaving it whole. But really wanted to know what was inside of it.

Reminder of view from the top

PXL_20201231_155531582.jpg

Really interesting internal structure. Looks highly silicified. Wonder if this is some sort of metamorphic conglomerate? @ynot

Cheers.

-Ken

• New Members

In this area, I have found several Pennsylvanian marine fossils, crinoids and rugose corals, generally all well tumbled and hard to ID. The closest PA outcrop I know of is a good 30 to 40 miles away in the Jemez, but 300 plus million years can move a lot of material. 

I went ahead and cut through it through the interesting circle.

Hopefully these pics will post. The first is showing the cut from above. The second is opened up. So the circle is a continuation of whatever the fossilized thing is and not a little ball by itself.

PXL_20210101_162432925.jpg

This one is the slice opened up. The ball part is on the outer edges about midway. (LOL to my technical terms)

It reminds me of some kind of anemone or stalked sea creature. But some of the fossilized parts remind me of starfish or ?

PXL_20210101_162457141.jpg

it is very pretty but i have no idea what they are.  My first thought is geological.  My general fall back position is look for a local expert--  local museum or university

As I look at it more and consider the possibilities mentioned such as thundereggs........and as I looked more and Pennsylvanian and Cretaceous sea life.........

I have imagined and fit it to possibly being a coral soft  part or anemone on a stalk. Bear with me...... I think what I called the top is the bottom and stalk/root part. Then the tentacle parts are what the other shapes are.

I think that circle area that seems to be in an oddly shaped concretion, is actually the stalk portion.

If you look at the first photos of the base, it really looks like the tentacle pieces cut at/worn down at an angle and cross section.

I know it is very rare to find preservation and fossilification of the soft parts. But I can not envision what those parts are if not soft parts.

Picture this upside down, or rather my finding upside down so the round part is the broken off stalk.  Look at what I am seeing as fossil in the photos of the base of my finding. 

I know I won't be the first person seeing what they believe................I am absolutely sure I am NOT sure of what it is. :)  I have had fun reading more about it.

Thank you all for your helpful comments. Each one has made me read more.

coral_animal.jpg