Coral, sponge, or just volcanic rock?

Boduke

• New Members

Found near dugway proving grounds in Utah's west desert while looking for geodes. Anything interesting about this, or just a rock?

16097346081986900252737432161956.jpg

16097346631546073589181350260303.jpg

It's difficult to tell from these photos. Clear, in focus photos with natural light will help. A scale reference is also important.

You’re new here, welcome.

There are many of us, non-English speaking, on this forum. Only the Americans know the size of a dollar bill. STP uses a real ruler in cm or inch.

Coco
  • I found this Informative 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Please do not use pictures of Legal  U.S. currency. Not just the size issue  but the Fed's don't seem to like that. 

Who/what is FED ?

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hello @Boduke and welcome to the Forum.  That looks like a very nice family you have with you in the picture.  I wonder if you are able to get that young lady interested in joining you on your fossil hunts.  This is a wonderful family hobby.  Unfortunately I was never able to get my two daughters bitten by the fossil bug.

I bet right now you are feeling like we have a lot of "rules" on this forum.  It may seem overwhelming at first.  But stick with us and I think you will find that learning the "best practices" of the forum comes quickly.  Again, a warm welcome.

2 hours ago, Coco said:

Who/what is FED ?

Coco

The Federal Government of the United States of America.  ;) 

We are over fond of our acronyms and abbreviations.  :shrug:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• New Members

Thank you and everyone for the info. I have been interested in rocks my whole life and yes, the bug has bitten my daughters.

I still have a lot to learn and appreciate everyone's input! I'm sure my etiquette will be up to par with future posts.

Thanks again!

12 hours ago, Coco said:
You’re new here, welcome.

There are many of us, non-English speaking, on this forum. Only the Americans know the size of a dollar bill. STP uses a real ruler in cm or inch.

Coco

9 hours ago, Coco said:

Who/what is FED ?

Coco

As each dollar/euro amount all the bills are the same size. 

FED's = Federal Agents, Government employees 

IMG_6483.jpeg

Boduke - looks like a rock to me.

Don't worry about the special treatment you're getting about using the bill, it's a on going thing which all people have a issue with for size comparison. Not everyone knows the size of a certain item from a different country, hands are all different sizes too.....whats not different and the same no matter what country you're from is a ruler with centimeters and inches.

Sharp photos with anything generally known for scale is fine with me. If we were looking at a specific fossil that had a particular size range, then a ruler of some sort would be required. The variability of currency size makes no difference when looking at a rock with possible fossils. Thanks for posing the sizes Abyss. Shows that they only vary slightly. A ruler of some sort is preferred of course as Coco states.

Preferred by me, yes, and supported by the administrators ;)

I’m one of the few non-English speakers to ask for it almost systematically, so obviously that might suggest that I’m the only one who doesn’t come out with hands, lighters, coins, banknotes, or whatever other bad comparison object... I’m doing an information job :cool07:

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Hello Boduke and welcome to TFF. :) 

I think you have been brow beaten enough over using objects for scale so I’ll try and get us back on track... Also, please pardon the derailment as it is a pet peeve of many here. ;):D 

Unfortunately, it looks like a weathered/eroded rock to me. 

While I do see divots, pits, and holes, I’m not seeing anything diagnostic to coral and the like. No visible septa, tabulae, calice, or uniformity in corallites that I would expect to see in a colony. 

Sponges can sometimes be tricky to identify, with tiny (many times microscopic) spicules being their main diagnostic feature, but I don’t think that is what you have here.

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)