Sub-range mystery

Rockwood

While doing some work in my kitchen I moved the stove. In the pan of dust bunnies was this flake of rock. Instinctively, I checked it for fossils.

I have no idea what, when, or where  they are from. Could be 20 miles north at Bear Brook (Maine), or as far west as Utah. Can anyone offer clues ?

IMG_5268 (2).JPG

Brightened, rotated, and enlarged: 

5ff9621b35161_IMG_Range mystery.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks. I may need to wait for a sunny day.  LED plant lights in the kitchen are a great treatment for seasonal disorder, but photography, not so much.

This will probably not qualify for fossil of the month but it will certainly win the fossil find locality of the month. We've all heard of fossils being found in drawers but this is somewhere new to look:thumbsu:

The big one looks like it has a little cartoon character running away from us.  Think that might help identify it? :shakehead:

38 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

The big one looks like it has a little cartoon character running away from us.  Think that might help identify it? :shakehead:

It might. 

The only way I run these days is figuratively, so I may catch it. 

Looks like a fine-grained metamorphic rock, maybe a chlorite schist or something in that line. White spots could be lichen or, less probably, some mineral deposit.

Does your stove contain any heat-storing rocks?

Franz Bernhard

32 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Does your stove contain any heat-storing rocks?

Nope. My house sure does though. :heartylaugh: I often study fossils under a reading lamp at the kitchen table.

There's a gravel pit just north of where the road crosses Bear Brook. In the bank there is a glacially scoured ledge, early paleozoic marine, peppered with  corals and the like. Most of them have only a mineral structure, and for the ledge to polish like it did likely indicates a good amount of metamorphisms in the area. I'll have to try to find those boxes and compare. It's no small task around here during the winter I afraid. 

Here's my stove. If I'm allowed to show off the project I was working on.  [ garfish scale model from Belle Fourche, SD ]

IMG_5266a.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

15 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Here's my stove. If I'm allowed to show off the project I was working on. 

IMG_5266a.jpg

:default_clap2:

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Here's my stove. If I'm allowed to show off the project I was working on.  [ garfish scale model from Belle Fourche, SD ]

IMG_5266a.jpg

Looks great!  Is that an induction cooktop?

7 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Is that an induction cooktop?

No. I think it's ceramic. The elements can be seen glowing beneath.