Florida Trip

danielp

We are planning a fishing trip to florida between the 22nd and 29th of feb. I believe we will be staying in Punta Gorda, Which is not far from the Peace river I believe. Are there any locals from this area that would be willing to take us around and show us some good areas. We will only be fishing one day I believe. I would love to get some of the Florida shark teeth and other fossil materials. Thank you.

Daniel, It might be worth it to find Mark Renz/Rentz on line and pay for one of his hunts in the Peace R. He'll provide kayaks, sifters, shovels and guidance all for his fee.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

I think Mark Renz is best but here is another link with details hiring a guide for the Peace River.

http://www.paleodiscoveries.com/TOURS.html

I think it is only 30-70 that I would go out on Feb 28th. I have recently gone back into the workforce and as a result, I am only in Florida on Saturday and Sunday and my spouse gets one of those days. I went out for the first time since December yesterday. It was COLD and in addition to all the all tools, I needed a wetsuit to go in. One of our group did not have a wetsuit and he ended up after 7 hours in water cold and shivering. I found a small 1.5 inch Meg, some hemis, armadillo scutes, deer molars, horse incisor etc. Sort of average for the Peace.

If you are at Punta Gorda, the closest spot on the Peace is Shell Creek. SHELL CREEK -- the name says it all. In addition to ancient shells, you can find Paleo-Indian spearpoints in number, and huge Megalodon teeth that rival any location in the world in quality. There is a boat ramp in a fish camp on the W. end of the Hwy. 17 bridge that provides access. To get to the bridge, turn off Hwy. 75 in Punta Gorda, and go E. on 17, until reaching the bridge. The fish camp will be on your left before you cross over.

http://www.treasuresites.com/members/fossil.htm

Overblown in the blurb above, but go to the boat ramp with shovel and sieve, choose a direction, walk up/down river until you feel the gravel under your sneakers/dive boots.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"