Looking for opinions On whether BV transitional GW or not.

PrehistoricWonders

Hey everyone!

i was wondering If I could get your opinion on two things with this tooth.

1)does this look like It was found in a BV, golden beach, Etc. location?

2)I had someone suggest that this may be a transitional GW, due to the fact that the serrations are uneven, and get larger, and smaller depending on where you look, even though the serrations don’t seem damaged.

AA5E6BF7-3B89-43E4-BE1A-2E1FDB93897E.thumb.jpeg.122b3db0364a11d029b7c809e2dad133.jpeg

As to the question about whether it’s transitional, I’ll leave that to others. But I will state that it’s a fine tooth!

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

7 minutes ago, hemipristis said:

As to the question about whether it’s transitional, I’ll leave that to others. But I will state that it’s a fine tooth!

Thank you!

No, not transitional. The partially serrated crown is much more apparent on true transitional teeth. I'm not sure about the location. It might be bone valley, but the colors could have been produced from another of other locations too. 

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Praefectus said:

No, not transitional. The partially serrated crown is much more apparent on true transitional teeth. I'm not sure about the location. It might be bone valley, but the colors could have been produced from another of other locations too. 

Ok, the location is one of either, Bone Valley, or Golden Beach.

im just not sure which location.

which do you think the colors are more typical of.

How large is the tooth?  Juvenile extant great white teeth can have irregular serrations and serrations that don't go all the way to the tip.  Some juvenile great white teeth can also have cusplets.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

8 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Sorry, 1 7/16”.

That size tooth would be from an adult great white.  Extant great white teeth can have a lot of variation in serrations even in adult teeth.  Below is one of my great white jaws (13.4" wide, 13.4" high) and then pictures of the right upper A1 and left upper A1 teeth.

600eba179ca05_Carcharodoncarcharias(GreatWhiteShark)2jaw13.4incheswide13.4incheshighLabialview1.thumb.jpg.5bab4d68f8270252e3e2a2fe27630a01.jpg

600eba3e58bfd_Carcharodoncarcharias(GreatWhiteShark)2upperjawA1RLabialview.thumb.jpg.5ce94e112349429aa152c4f249561b81.jpg

600eba4ca8b19_Carcharodoncarcharias(GreatWhiteShark)2upperjawA1LLabialview.thumb.jpg.4a09e1c5f5287903b7d6c314e8b31f1d.jpg

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 3

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

On 1/24/2021 at 5:16 PM, MarcoSr said:

How large is the tooth?  Juvenile extant great white teeth can have irregular serrations and serrations that don't go all the way to the tip.  Some juvenile great white teeth can also have cusplets.

Marco Sr.

Hi Marco Sr.,

That is a great point I've been thinking about the past few days.  I see collectors identifying all small great white teeth with weak/irregular serrrations as "C. hubbelli."  Some small Pliocene-Holocene great white teeth with weak/irregular serrations are just juveniles.  It should be added that some juvenile great white teeth can even lack serrations.

Jess

As for the first question, I have not seen a lot of Golden Beach teeth (and I don't think I have any) but the ones I've seen are bluer or grayer than that.  That's a tough game to play, figuring out the locality of a tooth by color.  Sometimes you can do it with an STH tooth or Lee Creek but there are oddball colors for everywhere.  If it's from Florida, keep in mind there are sites for great whites known to few outside of the locals - sites now filled-in, built-on, or off-limits.  You might see a tooth or two in a display case at a club show and wonder why you hadn't heard of it before.  There are oddball sites in the Carolinas too.

Jess