North Sulphur River Cruising With Bfg

CreekCrawler

I met Barefootgirl Saturday morning for a river walk.We knew going in that there had been tremendous hunting pressure in the area.There were footprints in every nook and cranny of the river this day.We walked as far as we could searching out divet free landscape.We were moaning and complaing about all the added weight of the mud entombing our boots.There must have been 2-3 lbs of added weight per foot we had to deal with.We finally found our desired gravel bars where there was no evidence of previous bi-pedal movement and the finds started coming.Tera found at least 5 Mosasaur verts and a nice partial arrowhead.

My favorite find was this articulated string of 4 fish verts with ribs attached.Here is what I scavenged from a great place.I also like the large coprolite.It has many nice and shiny fish parts throughout.

post-417-12638385406295_thumb.jpgpost-417-12638386112703_thumb.jpgpost-417-12638386350972_thumb.jpg

Looks like you had a great haul out there. Wish I could have went that time. Maybe I'll be off work the next time. I'm getting excited about the upcoming Florida trip. Fossils and fish here I come.

Reverse sides of the fish verts and coprolite.

post-417-1263838741943_thumb.jpg

What a load of snarge! (pun intended) :P

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

It was hell on the Sulphur that day! The mud just made it difficult to walk and climb out. Barry at least had a good laugh watching me try and climb out barefoot, up a steep muddy slope with nothing but mud to hang onto sometimes. I was laughing and hurting all at the same time.:blush:

So here are my finds from the day.

post-1082-1263855763116_thumb.jpg

An over view of almost everything I found

post-1082-12638557462688_thumb.jpg

A coprolite

post-1082-12638556951589_thumb.jpg

A piece of palmwood I believe.

post-1082-12638556806301_thumb.jpg

Various bits of ammonites. I love the colors on these.

post-1082-12638556638155_thumb.jpg

Neat little shells replaced by phosphate.

post-1082-12638556436879_thumb.jpg

Im thinking small mosasaur tooth? If I'm wrong could someone please let me know.

post-1082-12638556187453_thumb.jpg

the teeth I found that day. The shark tooth is a squalycoraqx. Im thinking maybe camel on the big one.

post-1082-12638556011714_thumb.jpg

The nicest vert of the day for me.

post-1082-12638555783746_thumb.jpg

Same vert

post-1082-12638555410115_thumb.jpg

Fish vert and partial arrowhead.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

As usual, you guys made some remarkable finds. Some of it may seem common, but there are a lot of Upper Cretaceous areas that don't produce what you find.

Articulated fish verts...wow!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hey Barry where's a pict of that bug looking thing you found?

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Hey Barry where's a pict of that bug looking thing you found?

Remember it's embedded in the coprolite !!! That copro is full of parts and pieces :D

Some of the digested pieces are very shiny. I only have 10x magnification here.I'd like to look at it under a microscope..

Your pictures turned out great and thanks for the company.

cool.gifLove the vert/rib section! Had to have come out recently. Nice Mos's tooth Ter! Both of you get an A+ on that hunt.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Very nice finds!!

~Mike

Edited by Sundancer73

All your fossils are belong to us

nice!! the fish verts and Tera's vert takes the blue ribbon.... ahhh fossil hunting: one of the few times finding snarge is a good thing!

- to be able to lead, you must first refuse to follow

- is that a rock hammer in your pocket, or are you just that happy to see me?

- where are all the unicorn fossils? that stupid troll lied to me!

PS, my avatar is Galeodes arabs, the largest species of solifugid. this one is a baby.....

Very nice finds, that vert is as crisp as they come..... well done guys....... :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

The tooth there you were questioning is really interesting. I don't beleive it to be mosasaur; the weathering may be affecting my judgement there. The growth lines are really intriguing. Can you take a few more pics of that one from different angles and try to focus on the growth series again?

Very cool.

Chris

As usual, you guys made some remarkable finds. Some of it may seem common, but there are a lot of Upper Cretaceous areas that don't produce what you find.

Articulated fish verts...wow!

I agree - great finds guys!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"