Bagged A Pliosaur Vert

Taxman56

I must of walked over this vert 100 times last summer and fall and who knows how many times other hunters stepped on it.

I usually have no luck walking the creek and on the way to my favorite gravel bar to sift, I found it within 5 minutes. It was buried right up even with the top and caught my eye.

Cretaceous Navesink

I usually have a hard time identifying these critters but I was able to find it on page 357 of A Pictorial Guide to Fossils Gerard R Case

post-2447-12639521819887_thumb.jpg

post-2447-12639526668805_thumb.jpg

post-2447-12639526792334_thumb.jpg

Awesome find! I probability walked over it too.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Sweet :) Wonder what part of the creature it was from? It would be cool if it was a neck vert but for the size I'm thinking somewhere in the back maybe :unsure:

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

real nice big plesiosaur vert for NJ! they take on so much permineralization they can blend in very well with the gravel and concretions, but who knows it may have been slightly buried for all that time until right before you found it.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Wow, great find! ;)

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

You think with all the dirt I shoveled this last year I would of found the rest of it.

I think Phil has found most of it by now.

Still looking for one of those flat ended vertebra. Very cool find!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I must of walked over this vert 100 times last summer and fall and who knows how many times other hunters stepped on it.

I usually have no luck walking the creek and on the way to my favorite gravel bar to sift, I found it within 5 minutes. It was buried right up even with the top and caught my eye.

Cretaceous Navesink

I usually have a hard time identifying these critters but I was able to find it on page 357 of A Pictorial Guide to Fossils Gerard R Case

That's a monster. way to go!

You think with all the dirt I shoveled this last year I would of found the rest of it.

I think Phil has found most of it by now.

ha! i dont know about most of it...but i got one of his teeth! :P

Nice find! Amazing how many good fossil pics are in that Case book too.

I had a similar experience this summer walking over a plesiosaur that luckily caught my eye, although my find was not as in good of shape.