Hi everyone,

I got this rather nice looking Metacanthina recently as a present as well as some other trilobites (which have sadly turned out to be clear fabrications after some research, clear bubbles etc.)

This one looked more convincing and I have gone over it with a magnifying glass but couldn't see any details various websites told me to look out for. Was wondering if someone with more experience could spot anything suspect! 

There is a crack along the matrix and on the rear of it's right eye some lens detail can be seen. 

Thanks

thumbnail (1).jfif

thumbnail (2).jfif

thumbnail (3).jfif

thumbnail.jfif

You will need to upload the images directly here (in a .jpg or .png format) for us to make that determination. The forum is not able to read .jfif format. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It's a rough prep. I wouldn't pay much for it. 

I'd probably skip it altogether.  :( 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

There appear to be some real parts here, but much of the cephalon appears fabricated and painted -- or, as Tim suggested, a very rough prep (covered in paint). :( 

Generally, a crack through the rock is not a bad sign given that the Devonian trilobites in Morocco are found in very dense limestone, and so it is customary that the pieces are collected, glued together, and prepared. 

EDIT: It also seems a better match with Coltraneia than Metacanthina

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

10 minutes ago, Lydon said:

Shame it's mostly fabricated

@Fossildude19 and @Kane are not definitive in saying it is mostly fabricated.

However, you can try to explore this at your own: Wash the specimen with water, maybe the paint will come of. If not, try it with acetone (attention, highly inflammable!). Without the paint, you may recognize real parts (butchered or not) and carved parts. After that, feel free to paint the thing in the color you want ;).

Note: It is clear, that someone started from a real specimen.

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

Yeah I might try to uncover what's going on with it's cephalon! 

And that is a really Impressive specimen! @Kane

The detailing of the lenses on it is really nice.